• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 4speed manual trans Worth?

Peppergrey65

I have a 4 speed manual trans in my 1965 Mustang and I am thinking of putting a T5 in it. What is the worth of the Stock 4 speed should I keep for the future of the car or sell?
Thanks

In 1965, there were two different 4-speeds: the Borg-Warner T-10 and the Ford Toploader. The T-10 goes for about $100 used and the Toploaders go from $650-$950. There's that much difference in performance and quality. There was also a T-10 variant for the Shelbys, but those are outrageously expensive.

How do you tell a T-10 from a Toploader? One has the access plate on the side and the other on the top.

Thanks for the info this helps but I still have one question which one is which? Mine has a access plate on the top of the trans

"Peppergrey65" said:
Thanks for the info this helps but I still have one question which one is which? Mine has a access plate on the top of the trans

It's sounds like it's a toploader then. Check some google images of a Ford toploader and a T-10 and compare against your own. The next issue, if a toploader, is figuring out the gearing (2.32 first gear, close ratio box vs 2.78 first gear, wide ratio box) if it's not original to your car.

Thank to all this helped a great deal. It is a true Toploader and I checked the tag and it is true to the car. I will not sell it that way I have for the future.

Back