• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65-66 fastback rear vent windows

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
I have decided to remove the vents in my 65 and put windows in. I used to see kits everywhere and now I can't find one.

Anyone know who has the window kits to replace the rear vents in the early fastbacks?

Mel

Mel,
You sure you want to do this? Are you planning to keep the 65? Sorry, but that is one Mod I really have a problem with.

I have struggled with the decision myself. I know when it is done it is not reversible. Thus far everything done to either car can be reversed.

I do like the way they look, but it is a 65 and they never came in the 65. I would need to get a 66 in order to put them in and justify a GT350 clone.

I would like to do a 65 GT350 clone kind of restomod thingy if that makes any sense.

I was going with a metal dash and the windows because I like them, but once again I am a bit torn since it could very well reduce the value of the car.

Otherwise I need to take the vents out and clean them up and get them ready for paint.

Oh, am I keeping the car? If nothing else goes horribly wrong, SWMBO will not let me sell it. I am going to thin out the gun collection instead. I am waiting for the kids to tell me what they want before deciding what to sell.

I do need to sell something to pay off the bills and get started on the medical bills and not working is putting a cramp on things.

Enough rambling. Bottom line is it is a permanent non bolt on change to the body that may affect the value.

Anyone here have any knowledge as to if it will devalue the car and what percentage?

Mel

I am doing the same thing on a perfect rust free 65 fastback, but I am grafting in the windows from a 2007 mustang, I have done the plexi windows in the past, but want glass this time. Rich.

OK it seems you are determined to move forward. Without looking into this project, I would agree with Rich regarding going with real glass. Plexiglass just sounds too cheap looking.

"mustangstofear" said:
I am doing the same thing on a perfect rust free 65 fastback, but I am grafting in the windows from a 2007 mustang, I have done the plexi windows in the past, but want glass this time. Rich.

OK, I cant just leave that laying there....do a thread about that because it sounds like a great idea!

I did a rear clip on a 07 mustang 3 years ago and saved the qtr window since the new clip already had them. The Branda windows are an easy install, doing the 07 requires welding, its not for the faint of heart. But when your done it will look 10 times better. Rich.

"guruatbol" said:
I do like the way they look, but it is a 65 and they never came in the 65. I would need to get a 66 in order to put them in and justify a GT350 clone.

I would like to do a 65 GT350 clone kind of restomod thingy if that makes any sense.

Technically Mel you could do a '66 GT350 clone. IIRC, the early '66 cars were actually '65's that had been changed over to '66's! Just a thought.

Mel, when/if I ever get a 65 or 66 FB project, I will definitely install the 1/4 windows. I think they enhance the body and roof lines. Cool.

Timeout. Who made the decision that installing the plexi-glass side windows was irreversible?

I installed them on my '66 and saved the interior metal webbing pieces that I removed/cutout. If I cut them out, I can most certainly weld them back in. And I also have a set of unmolested OE interior upper FG panels. The modifcation is by no stretch of the imagination a permanent one.

Back