• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65' backup light question

abrahamfh

It might sound like a really dumb question but needed to double check. Did all 65' Mustangs come with the backup lights? Selene's lower rear valance has two 1/8" holes vertically drilled into it on each side but there is no electrical wiring that seems to be in the area. Really appreciate the help guys and gals.
Abe

Backup lights were not required by Federal Law until the 1966 model. Before then, it was an option.

That's right. Back up lights and rear seat belts were an option in 1965. Mine came with neither of them. I do like the looks of the rear valance w/o the lights.
Picture115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Red did not have backup lights so I installed them before I had the car repainted.

Before:
nicebackside.jpg

After:
backsidewlights.JPG

I like them on cars without the GT exhaust trumpets, but I think the valence gets cluttered with both trumpets and backup lights.

"cmayna" said:
Red did not have backup lights so I installed them before I had the car repainted.

Before:
nicebackside.jpg

After:
backsidewlights.JPG

Was it a tough install Craig? I really like the look of either having the exhaust cutouts or the backup lights. (Leaning more towards the backup lights)

I made paper templates from another valance. Rumor has it I still have them too. Yes a little work but I just didn't want to buy a repro valance so one winter night..........

Back