• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 K convertible restoration

I don't think it's possible to be more obsessed with a car!! :crazy

Should have another update with pics in the next couple of days. More under-dash stuff.

Does the steering column still need to go in or is there a seal missing on that steering shaft?

10_4_09%20005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome car.I will be following your blog to watch the progress you make with great interest.Your attention to detail is inspiring

If you don't mind I have a few question that might steer me in the right direction.
Hopefully I will soon start working on my k again.I would like to put it together as close to correct as possible (though not to the level of your resto,I am not that capable).My problem is even though I have 99% of the car it was mostly apart when I got it,so before photos don't exist.I have a few books but none go into the detail that I would like to see,finishes,numbers etc... Do you know of any? Also my car was built in Dearborn so aside from markings (not that big concern for me) are there many differences ? I am really looking forward to this project,taking my time and doing the right thing so I need to do my homework,ask the right people, and gather as much info that I can.
Any help would be greatly apreciated.

"mcfly" said:
Also my car was built in Dearborn so aside from markings (not that big concern for me) are there many differences ? I am really looking forward to this project,taking my time and doing the right thing so I need to do my homework,ask the right people, and gather as much info that I can.
Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Yes, there are quite a few differences when you get down to the nitty gritty details. Some differences are probably irrelevant, but it's up to you whether or not you want to go there. The best advice I can offer is to clean/examine the parts that came with the car and then compare to other Dearborn cars built at the same time in production. I have a '65 K fastback which is also a Dearborn car, it has a January '65 scheduled build date, so maybe ours are close?

Thanks Charles,
My car was built in November 1965. Did you have a blog of that car during its restoration? When I got the car I wasn't really thinking about going crazy on the resto but since then more and more people tell me it's the type of car you have to do right.Ugg

"mcfly" said:
Thanks Charles,
My car was built in November 1965. Did you have a blog of that car during its restoration? When I got the car I wasn't really thinking about going crazy on the resto but since then more and more people tell me it's the type of car you have to do right.Ugg

Our cars are about a 10 months apart, didn't realize you have a '66. I have only disassembled my car (which was perfectly fine and not necessary!) It should be going to the paint shop where it will likely be held hostage for a year or so. I have most of the parts to put it back together, but do not plan to get as detailed as I've done with the K convertible. Just about any hi-po is worth putting back right, to what level is a choice you will have to make. I wouldn't necessarily think that you "have to do it right." You can have just as much fun restoring it as a nice driver instead of a trailered show car.

Back