• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 kickdown help

svelastegui

I have a 65 mustang 289 automatic (c4), that has a kickdown rod, but when WOT the throttle arm hits the plate, but there is no play, so the kickdown doesn't move. anyone have similar setup and should the plate move to engage the rod ? any thoughts on why it won't move ? Can't even move it manually.

"svelastegui" said:
I have a 65 mustang 289 automatic (c4), that has a kickdown rod, but when WOT the throttle arm hits the plate, but there is no play, so the kickdown doesn't move. anyone have similar setup and should the plate move to engage the rod ? any thoughts on why it won't move ? Can't even move it manually.

That doesn't look like a factory set up, either the 64.5 early 65 rod linkage nor the late 65 thru 68 pedal mounted set up... my suggestion is to buy a reproduction throttle arm with late 65 to 68 style arm welded to it and cable as a replacement for what is installed... I would also be concerned that the tab welded on the throttle arm could get caught in the existing kick down linkage and cause the throttle to stick...

Back