• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 power steering centerlink joint worn

tedhusky

:rr How close to dying was I? I'm cleaning and preping the engine bay getting ready to paint. I thought I'd remover the steering box and get it rebuilt and clean that area as well. I used a pitman removal tool and separated the centerling joint. What I found was a joint ready to fall out of the center link. I suspect that the original owner let the pump run out of fluid and the pitman are was now like a manual steering unit. Is this a common problem?
Thanks, Ted

"mustang656man" said:
Without power steering pressure there is a lot of play at that joint-needs to be checked with car running. wes

+ 1. the first time that I looked at the link I thought that it was toast. But it was fine. Have it checked.

Thanks guys for the replys. I had the control unit and link rebuilt by the same shop that rebuilt the steering box. His comment was, " the centerlink was ready to fall apart". Without the ram providing the pressure, the joint in the centerlink was doing all the work of moving the centerlink back and forth. It was just a matter of time before the joint would break free from the centerlink and the steering goes wherever it pleases. Very dangerous.
Anyway, thanks for the replys.
Ted

Back