• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Rear brake hose?

hawthorne

I have a 65 mustang with factory dual exhaust that the po has installed a 9" lincoln versailles rear axle in.i need to know if i can use my factory rear brake hose or use one for the lincoln versailles?? Thanks for your help

I would think that you would retain your flex brake hose.... and then adapt the Versailles rearend to fit it by if necessary drilling/tapping a new vent port onto the axle tube and replacing the hard metal brake lines on the rearend. You really don't want to use those old brake lines on the rearend anyway, you might as well set up the Lincoln rearend's brake lines to appear just like the rearend you're removing.

Are you saying that currently you do not have the rear brakes hooked up and running, thus asking which flex hose to use? If so, will the end of your flex hose fit into the distribution block that is connected to the rear end?

I do agree with Dave that now is the time to consider redoing all metal lines so you don't have to worry about it later. I had to drill and relocate the vent tube on Shag's rear end. it was pretty easy.

Ditto... I have a Versailles in my project Coupe (was in Wife's vert). Drill and tap for the vent tube, be careful about chips getting inside. I liberally greased the tap so the chips would cling to it, the twist drill pulled them out but a tap tends to push chips into a hole, and then looked inside to make sure I didn't miss any. Mine was out on the floor at the time, but I didn't feel like pulling the axle out...
Then just get a plug for the other hole.

I don't have any brake hose or lines on this car. I also have no factory rear end to find the location to drill/tap a new hole.Any body have a measurement for the location of this hole? Thanks for your help.

Since you're swapping in a Versailles rearend you're obviously not overly concerned about "exactly to factory specs".

What I would do is mock up the rearend assembly under the car paying attention to the clearances.... especially that of the drivers side exhaust pipe. You'll want to drill/tap your rearend's vent hole at the top of the axle housing in an area where routing the rubber hose will not interfere with the exhaust pipe.

Once the hole is drilled/tapped, loosely install the junction block end of your rubber brake line.... and then manufacture some custom hard brake lines to replace the stock ones on the Versailles rearend assembly.

"hawthorne" said:
SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION I HAVE NO EXHAUST ON IT YET.

Okay.... imagine that the exhaust pipe is there.

Or figure this out after you get your exhaust installed.

Back