• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 screw in upper ball joints

Those lower ball joints are designed to to car a load in tension. If you use them on upper control arms with the springs attached to the uppers, then the load on the ball joint will be in compression. The screw in helps to keep the body secured, but the internals of that ball joint might not be up to the task unless you mount the springs to the lower control arm...

What ever you choose, if you need a tapered reamer, I have one you could borrow...

"Opentracker" said:
This is the one you want but you don't want to use it under compression. The end cap will pop out.

not following, can you explain more? I'm guessing like stangg said, these are designed to have the spring on the LCA, which would have the UCA only positioning the top of the spindle vs. carrying the weight in compression?

"65-408" said:
not following, can you explain more? I'm guessing like stangg said, these are designed to have the spring on the LCA, which would have the UCA only positioning the top of the spindle vs. carrying the weight in compression?

What they're referring to is based on how the ball joints are constructed. The uppers are solid while the lowers are constructed with a spring inside that holds the ball joint in. If you used a lower ball joint on an upper arm then the spring would be compressed all the way and the ball joint would fail.

Read this: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=14865

Robert

169-300413094012.jpeg

I took one apart a long time ago. They are designed to be used as a follower or under tension. If you push in on the stud, it will push on the bushing and unseat the ball joint. It will eventually pop out the swedged in end plate.

Ball joints are made to do one thing, tension or compression, not both. The 3-4 bolt Ford ball joints are what you want to use under compression.

OK, get it now, thanks. I was kinda wondering why almost every aftermarket UCA uses the Ford bolt in ball joint...

Are the pin diameters of the K772 and K727 larger than the stock spindle holes? I have a set of Moog MP1003 (which are supposedly a low friction version of the K727) and the pin is too large to fit in the stock spindle.

Back