• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 steering linkage question

Can I use my power steering tie rods, idler arm, steering box and pitman arm, with a manual steering drag link? I asked this question years ago and I seem to remember JohnPro saying it would work fine. Now that I'm finally going to get my car running, I thought I should ask again to be sure.

I am more familiar with 67/68's but I think the PS vs Manual pitman arm is like male vs female for the connection. Which means you would need the manual pitman arm with the manual drag link.

"tarafied1" said:
I am more familiar with 67/68's but I think the PS vs Manual pitman arm is like male vs female for the connection. Which means you would need the manual pitman arm with the manual drag link.

According to your link, it looks to me like for 65, it's the same pitman. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

"PraireBronze" said:
Can I use my power steering tie rods, idler arm, steering box and pitman arm, with a manual steering drag link? I asked this question years ago and I seem to remember JohnPro saying it would work fine. Now that I'm finally going to get my car running, I thought I should ask again to be sure.

You can use the P/S pieces on a manual center link. The tie rod ends are different shape on the drivers side on a P/S car but they do the same job. The bend in them is to get around the control valve. The P/S and M/S idler arms mount the same, the P/S idler has a larger bushing on the frame side, that's all. The pitman arms are the same.

"PraireBronze" said:
According to your link, it looks to me like for 65, it's the same pitman. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
yes, and John confirmed. They are the same. On my 67 Manual vs PS are different. sorry for any confusion.

Back