• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66 Coupe with ALL the goodies

johnpro

The time has come for me and my '66 to part ways. It's been a fantastic car, which I've now owned for 12 years, and built myself over those years. It was my daily driver from '98 until '07 or so. Since then, I joined a car pool and the car has been driven extremely little (if I'm driving one, it's the '69 with the 408/TKO-600).

This car is has zero rust, and has been garaged for all the years I've owned it. It has all the original floor pans, engine bay panels, quarter panels, and the trunk. No patches at all, anywhere. I have well over $25K in parts alone in this car, and receipts for every single one. The paint is a 2 stage BC/CC paint job, called "metallic pewter". It is about 3 years old, but does have a couple small chips in it. This car is ready to go drive and enjoy right now. It really needs nothing. 99.9% of all wiring in this car has been replaced with new wiring. The only parts I can think of that have not been replaced is the wiper motor and it's wiring harness, the turn signal switch, and the wiring harness from the dash to the trunk.

This car has run a best time of 14.003 in the 1/4 mile with the old cam in it, and on the existing street tires. It has not been to the track with the current cam, which has about 2k miles on it, and is quite a bit more aggressive than the old cam. With some sticky tires it should be running in the low 13's (just needs more traction to get there). On the freeway, it can get 20+ mpg with the overdrive transmission (Ford AOD transmission), even with the 3.50:1 rear gears.

I'll be straight up with StangFix members. I will take $12k for this car, but that price is not negotiable. The following list shows the bulk of the parts that have gone into this car, so you can see the beating I'm actually taking. I will help arrange shipping. I will not trade, though, and won't go below the $12k (this is a special StangFix members deal only). It is going to be advertised, simultaneously, on Craig's List for $15k.

These are not old pictures. They were all taken today, 6/1/2010.

ENGINE
  • 289 CID, rebuilt and balanced. Has 66k miles on it.
  • KB pistons, bored .030 over. 10:1 compress ratio
  • '69 351w heads (with 10:1 pistons, ends up with about 9.3:1 end compression ratio and runs great on 93 octane)
  • Edelbrock Perfomer RPM intake
  • Edelbrock Hi-flow water pump
  • Comp. Cams Extreme Energy XE262H cam (Duration 262/270, Lift .493/.500)
  • Harland Sharp roller rockers (with screw-in studs and guide plates)
  • Double roller Ford Racing timing chain
  • Griffin aluminum radiator
  • SPAL 16" straight blade electric fan
  • PowerMaster 100 amp single-wire alternator (w/ original Voltage Regulator removed)
  • March pullies for alternator and water pump

Fuel Delivery
  • Holley Red Barrel electric fuel pump (with hidden kill switch in interior)
  • Edelbrock 1405 carburetor, re-jetted and calibrated. Electric choke added
  • 1/2" phenolic carb spacer.
  • K&N performance air filter

Exhaust
  • Flowtech Terminator, full length, ceramic coated headers w/3" collectors
  • 2.25" dual exhaust with H-pipe
  • Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers

Ignition
  • MSD 6-AL capacitive discharge unit
  • MSD Blaster II coil
  • MSD Pro-billet distributor
  • MSD 8 mm custom made wires

Drive Train
  • AOD transmission
  • B&M 2400 HoleShot stall converter
  • B&M TransPack shift kit
  • 9" Traction-Lok in original '66 K code Mustang housing.
  • 3.50:1 gears
  • B&M external transmission cooler (in addtion to in-radiator cooller)

Suspension/Brakes
  • OpenTracker Racing roller spring perches
  • OpenTracker Racing roller upper control arms
  • Street Or Track adjustable, rollerized strut rods
  • vario-centric camber kit (eliminates '65/'66 front shims)
  • 1" Aadco front sway bar
  • Monte Carlo bar
  • Export Brace
  • 620# front springs, lowered 1"
  • 4.5 leaf Grab-A-Track mid-eye rear leaf springs
  • KYB GasAjust shocks
  • All rubber has been eliminated from front suspension & replaced with rollerized parts with bearings
  • '70 Mustang front disk brakes
  • '74 Maverick manual disk/drum Master cylinder (feels like power brakes without the booster)
  • Manual steering with quick ratio steering box

Interior
  • Corbeau sport seats
  • Alpine AM/FM/CD with IPOD hook up in the console (controlled from head unit)
  • Autometer gauges under dash for voltage, oil pressure and temperature
  • Grant Signature steering wheel
  • T-Lock, locking shifter handle for security

Other
  • Fully automatic electric antenna re-located to right rear quarter panel
  • Mustang Project sequential tail lights
  • 15x7 American Racing Torque-Thrust D's
  • 205/60/15 Yokahama front tires
  • 225/60/15 Yokahama rear tires
  • Body colored drip rail moldings
  • Fog lights added to front grill, but have never been hooked up or used.

170_01_06_10_9_41_23_4.jpg
170_01_06_10_9_41_23_3.jpg

170_01_06_10_9_41_23_2.jpg
170_01_06_10_9_41_23_1.jpg

170_01_06_10_9_41_23_0.jpg

170_01_06_10_9_35_08_4.jpg
170_01_06_10_9_35_08_3.jpg

170_01_06_10_9_35_08_2.jpg
170_01_06_10_9_35_08_1.jpg

170_01_06_10_9_35_07_0.jpg
170_01_06_10_9_36_37_0.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_16_24_2.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_16_23_1.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_16_23_0.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_13_55_4.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_13_55_3.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_13_55_2.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_13_55_1.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_13_54_0.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_16_24_4.jpg

170_02_06_10_7_16_24_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
John, That is one nicely put together pony. Whoever get's it will never be able to appreciate the years of sweat and knowledge you put into it. Thus I agree with Frank 100%. Maybe we can all spread the word.

If I would have know that when we went down to buy Sabrina's, I would have told her to wait and get yours!!!

ps...after all the work you went through with the DMV to get the black plates....you're selling 'em???? :craz

John sorry to see you part with the coupe. The car was awesome to drive from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe. Anyone who's getting this car is getting a real fun car to drive.

I love that car! I wish I was in a position to buy it! I am busy paying off stuff and had to buy another car for Cheyanne...

I already have the old hood!

Mel

This is a sweet buy. I'll pass yer info to a couple of friends. Whoever ends up with John's 66 coupe is getting quite a deal.

Not to totally hi-jack your thread John - but you are running the same valve covers that I am; and I noticed that yours has done the same thing as mine & vibrated out some or most of the plastic allen head bolts in the covers. Have you given any though to a fix for this issue?

And good luck with the sale. You asking price is a STEAL IMO.

Just to let you all know......I guess John just sold this bucket of bolts.........and guess where it will live now...can you say Florida... :vic :coo :ecit :) :craz

Now, to sell mine..........can only have one around here. :sad

Thanks John....good talking with you both.

Didja get the Carfax?!?!?

I think this one's been in an accident :pf

J/K.... What a great car... Glad it's staying around!

Are we gonna get any good PO stories?

CarFax.....all I got was car flaps....darn

Anytime you deal with a guy who wispers over the phone AND has his wife doing the talking.....well, you know...... :lol

I thought you might have been up to something along this line...

I've rode in JohnPro's car, and I think you'll like it much better than what you have.

How is it going to get here?

Shipped.... A round trip in the RV would be considerably higher than shipping I believe. 5000 miles at 9 mpg......ouch Not ready for a vacation from retirement yet.

Now, if there could be a relay of a trailered car cross country thru stangfix members....that would be cool.

"AzPete" said:
Shipped.... A round trip in the RV would be considerably higher than shipping I believe. 5000 miles at 9 mpg......ouch Not ready for a vacation from retirement yet.

Now, if there could be a relay of a trailered car cross country thru stangfix members....that would be cool.

That WOULD be cool! Or why not fly yourself out and drive it back?

I think you're REALLY going to love this car. A great deal!...Waldopro approved. :WP

"AzPete" said:
Screw the trailers.... we'll just take turns behind the wheel!! :lol

Back