• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

66 Fastback progress

Bought my 66 fastback when I was 15, it was my first car believe it or not. Nightmist blue 66 fastback 2+2. The original 289 was long gone when I got it. It had a 1970 302 2bbl in it when I got it and it didn't last long because the oil pump failed. That started a snowball effect of modifications and its all been worth it!

Day I picked her up:
25ppl37.jpg

2pqrp87.jpg

The dead motor:
2i0t1md.jpg

21ki1jk.jpg

wwm4w7.jpg

5r0wh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard and glad to see another build thread.

Night mist blue, sure looks amazing. Had a car that was Midnight mist blue, it was sweet.

Can't wait to see more.

With the motor trashed, I started building up a 5.0 roller cam motor.

GT-40 heads with fresh rebuild
2qwfo7r.png

Work in process:
v6itso.png

2ekj6o3.png

Made some changes since I got it running again, but here is the current motor set up.
15znrdh.jpg

87 GT 5.0 roller block with complete rebuild
Trick Flow stage one cam
New dual timing chain and gear
Cran's 1:6 Roller Rockers
Edelbrock Air-Gap intake
Holley 650 4bbl double pumper
Tri-Y headers
Rebuild 93 GT-40 heads
8mm wires
Flowmaster exhaust 40 series
Aluminum Cobra air cleaner
3" tall Cobra valve covers
3 core radiator
Moroso front sump oil pan
3 core Aluminum Griffin radiator. Rated to 600hp
custom made fan shroud
K&N air filter
power brakes
dual master cylinder

Here is a better shot of the fan shroud that I came up with
2lszbc5.jpg

Also rebuild the stock c4. Added a shift kit to optimize the cam and installed a trans cooler. The trans cooler is mounted to the lower front of the radiator.

Next, rebuild the front suspension.

35cim8z.jpg

CSRP disc brake conversion kit
all new stock front suspension (upper lower A arms, shocks, coil springs etc)

Only problem is that it really jacked up the hieght for the front because of the old leaf springs in the back being worn out. So I lowered the front suspension and built it to Shelby Specs.

29xad0g.jpg

1" Shelby front sway bar
600lb rated high performance coil springs by TMC Co.
Shelby drop

Right away I noticed the car was 1.5" lower as soon as I put it back on the ground. Now that the front end has settled more, I'd say its a good 2" lower then a stock car set up.

I really like the look of the AC cobra Raydot mirrors on the GT350Rs so I added them to mine.
2hp6p3p.jpg

156emn5.jpg

New retro racing seat belts. Ray Brown/ AC cobra repros. They're sweet, all cars should have seat belts like these!
652vbk.jpg

Last summer I went to Ford Carlisle and scored a great deal on this. I had wanted to do a 9" conversion for awhile but this got the project going. Cutting the old leaf springs with a sawzall really makes you realize there is no turning back!

'57 Ford 9" small bearing, 28 spline. Basically a straight drop in. I bought a 67' posi center section with 3.50 gears but the guy lied to me and it was really an open rear....

16auu1j.jpg

2ihnp5i.jpg

Those leaf springs are 5 leaf mid eye springs to drop the rear 1".

Unfortunatly I don't have any "before" "after" pictures on this computer, so this one will have to do.
2e5i4p4.jpg

-'57 Ford 9" axle housing
- 28 spline axles
- Eaton truetrac posi unit
- 3.50 gears
- '67 Ford center section casing
- Disc brake conversion from getdiscbrakes.com
- all new brake lines, breather, hardline etc.
- new gas shocks
- new leaf spring shackle
- Majer racing 5 leaf, mid eye, 1" drop leaf springs
- 65-66 Traction Master Shelby 3/4" rear sway bar
- cobra automotive spring plates
- cobra automotive 3" u-bolts
- Custom made 3" diameter drive shaft by Hartman Drive Shaft of Reading Pa
- modified Traction Master 66 Shelby under ride traction bars to work with the 57 housing because those use a 3" axle tube.

OK, I've been trying to decide if I want to go to the trouble when it comes to paint to change the outside to Vista blue or just do a silver blue like Mark.

My question is that since your interior is the same color as mine, where dose the dark blue end and start? Front jamb painted dark I assume and the side jamb? what about the body jamb not the door side?

All can be answered with a couple pics....Thanks in advance.

Nice ride and welcome aboard!

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
OK, I've been trying to decide if I want to go to the trouble when it comes to paint to change the outside to Vista blue or just do a silver blue like Mark.

My question is that since your interior is the same color as mine, where dose the dark blue end and start? Front jamb painted dark I assume and the side jamb? what about the body jamb not the door side?

All can be answered with a couple pics....Thanks in advance.

Nice ride and welcome aboard!

Mel
Thanks!
Only the interior surface of the door is painted light blue. All the door jambs are painted the body color. Sorry I can't get you any pictures at the moment because I'm at college.

Not much to report, but I did a few things to the stang while on break from college. Was able to get my signed glove box door and the new valve covers installed. They are the S/T valve covers from Cobra Valley, I was having some issues with the height of my roller rockers.

23j020i.jpg

98c6m9.jpg

egtjix.jpg

9to0fr.jpg

14jrayt.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
LOVE those valvecovers!

Same here, first time I saw them I knew I had to have them. I think they look great on the motor. Cobra Valley makes them for big block applications as well.

"Runningriot" said:
So were you the buyer or the seller? :sarc
ouch.... nope. could never knowingly stick it to anyone like that... I did sell the pumpkin for a reasonable price, quite a bit less than I paid for it as a matter of fact :roul

Back