• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

66 MUSTANG DATE CODES

TREE

As i stated earlier I am new to mustangs and a learning a lot as I go but I just figured out their are no Vin number stampings on the blocks just date codes can someone out their walk me through this process as to where all the codes are located on a 66 mustang coupe 289. Also my car is titled a 66 but has the pin type motor mounts that I thought were only on the 65 model are trier any good sites that will help decipher all the body codes also?
Thanks

"TREE" said:
thanks alot exactly what I needed, any links to the engine codes?

Jeeze, do I have to do everything for ya?

J/K

You need the decade of the block from the casting number. Then use the engine's assembly code to determine its exact date of assembly.
It is hand stamped on the head mating surface of the block on the passenger's side of the engine. There is a small portion of the head mating surface that protrudes about 1" out and is about 3/4" wide. It would be directly under the AC compressor if you have it.
Format is 5E26 which means May 26, 1965. I'll see if I can round up a pic.

Screenshot2009-12-27at74221PM_2-1.png

Does this hold true for newer engines? I have an 80's 5.0 in mine and would love to know what year car it came out of. Can't wait to get home tonight and check!

On the one in my '66, I found the info above the starter. It is also an early 80's 302. Never looked for the spot by the head.

Back