• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66FB GT "Slick Guzzo" Upgrade Build-Up

Re: '66FB GT Upgrade Build-Up

Problems encountered:

1. Pitman arm hitting JBA Tri-Y header. I think dinging the header tubes is not going to be enough.
2. Lower caliper bolt is hitting the TCP LCA. TCP tech said to grind the arm, but not the welds. Pictures of the stock LCA would give me some help. I hope I don't have to buy LCAs again!
3. Front sway looks to have more room on the driver side than the passenger side. What's going on?!

Is the bracket that bolts on top of the LCA-strut rod end determine the final end of the turning radius?

Here, you can see the bracket I'm talking about and the difference in play of the sway bar on both sides.

3. Front sway looks to have more room on the driver side than the passenger side. What's going on?!

Can you loosen the sway bar mounts and end links and then "slide" the bar over to center it?

Is the bracket that bolts on top of the LCA-strut rod end determine the final end of the turning radius?

Yes, that is the intent/purpose of that bracket.

I'm sure the sway bar is center because where the bar bends is already hitting the mount on the frame rail. And, it looks like the caliper will hit the LCA before the spindle hits the stop bracket.

"hivewax" said:
Pictures of the stock LCA would give me some help

I have some Moog (Stock Style) LCAs sitting in my garage waiting to go on...I'll photo them up however you want. I *THINK* the old beatup ones I had on the car are sitting in a pile of scrap waiting to be recycled...if so, I'll gladly send you one or both of those for shipping, though I'm afraid shipping on them might be a bit much, as they're too big to fit in a flat rate box.

A picture of the stock LCA installed with the wheel turned in just like what I pictured would be of importance. I'm talking with Scotty at Cobra Auto, so they'll most probably give me the pix. Thanks for the consideration.

Well, it looks like I'll need to heavily modify the TCP LCAs. They are wider than stock where the ball joints are located and the calipers interfere with that width; not just the caliper mounting bolt, but also the lower caliper body hits the TCP LCA.

I'm going to talk with TCP tech, if they can do anything, or I'll buy a new stock modified set.

Any advice is appreciated.

I was thinking of putting a spacer between the spindle and the LCA ball joint. Has anyone seen this done before?

here's a video of the '66 getting the alignment. you can hear the exhaust note at idle.
Idle Exhaust Note

Cobra Auto LCAs should arrive tomorrow. do you think the alignment will be altered from swapping the TCP LCAs to these?

"hivewax" said:
here's a video of the '66 getting the alignment. you can hear the exhaust note at idle.
Idle Exhaust Note

Cobra Auto LCAs should arrive tomorrow. do you think the alignment will be altered from swapping the TCP LCAs to these?

Yes

Really disappointed that the LCAs are made from Global West. I thought Cobra Auto would do the modification like their UCAs... hmmm.

If you wanted good LCA's, why not get them from John? I run plain jane stock LCA's on my 66 and they work fine on the track. Now, when I do need to replace them, I'll be mounting up John's roller parts.

I looked on the ORP site and saw 2 versions (stock + drag race). I'm not sure if all LCAs are modified the same. And to point out, John's UCAs use 1.5" drop and Cobra Auto UCAs use 1.75" drop... not sure if dragging versus corner carving makes a difference in drop.

Still not getting full turning radius. :doh

The caliper body hits the Cobra Auto stock modified LCA before spindle end hits the stop bracket. TCP LCA was worse, though, so it's better than before.

Mark :!!, how's your turning radius?

I've never noticed a problem with mine, no known marks on anything to point to a problem either. I'll have to go out this weekend and compress the suspension and turn it through it's motion. I'll take some pics for you while I'm at it.

Hopefully I can get SWMBO to sit in the car and turn the wheel!

We have the same brakes, so you should see that the caliper hits the LCA. There's like an inch of space between spindle stop to stop bracket.

"hivewax" said:
I looked on the ORP site and saw 2 versions (stock + drag race). I'm not sure if all LCAs are modified the same. And to point out, John's UCAs use 1.5" drop and Cobra Auto UCAs use 1.75" drop... not sure if dragging versus corner carving makes a difference in drop.

For the record, this is no longer the case. John has returned his Track Roller LCAs to his page. These are the ones for the twisty corners.

The main difference, I believe, is that the ones for the track use additional bracing and boxing for strength. The drag guys just need the arms to drop quickly for better weight transfer, and thus just have the spherical bearings (But don't quote me on that)

Here are the pics, notice that I have those original massive headed bolts, where yours are new and smaller! I've had these brakes for about 8 yrs.

Pass side, you can see where the bolt head just nics the LCA at full articulation. I turned the steering till it bumped the stops! I could bevel the bolt head, but I see no advantage in doing so.

Passside2.jpg

Passside.jpg

Driver side, same thing

Driverside.jpg

Driverside2.jpg

Even if you grind the bolt head, the caliper body around that bolt would hit the LCA. Thanks for the quick reply. Cobra Auto needs to change the caliper bracket clocked differently.

"hivewax" said:
Even if you grind the bolt head, the caliper body around that bolt would hit the LCA. Thanks for the quick reply. Cobra Auto needs to change the caliper bracket clocked differently.

Disagree; with it pointed in, it's already hitting the bump stop and the bolt head is just barely nicking the LCA. The caliper body has enough clearance that it will not hit the LCA. It's quite possible there is a diff between the new ones and my older ones.

I would guess that they may have addressed the problem by changing the bolt head to what you have. Have you talked to them lately?

Back