• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67-68 taillight seals questions

apollard

I'm in the process of finishing my taillight upgrade/leak fix. I bought all new seals for the job from NPD before I started, and stoopidly toss my old ones when I pulled them. Two issues I have:

The new taillight to body seals are hard rubber, and don't fit well. The old ones were soft foam like material, and fit quite well. I can't get the hard rubber to seal well - even where they fit well, they don't conform well to the body.

Anybody out there know of better light to body seals?

Issue 2 - the old seals on the trim were in 3 parts - one that fit into the trim, and two grommet like seals around the studs (which fell apart when removed). The new ones don't have these, and they are not listed anywhere I can find them. Looking at the new seals, it's a leak waiting to happen.
275_05_12_09_2_28_18_0.JPG

275_05_12_09_2_28_18_1.JPG

Anybody have a source for the grommets?

One way to seal it better , is to cut the current new seal a bit smaller and use window sealer all the way around and raround the studs.Mount it in place .Take a soft plastic wig and go around the bezel inside and outside and let it dry.The day after you should take the rest of the sealer easily off the taillight lens and body.
Silicon sealer , NOT silicon that glues things together !!!!
I have just used the seals because my car ain't gonna see rain very much.

I used the NPD seals with new bezels (originals were very pitted), and I thought they fit very good. I was happy with the fit, in that the seals kept the bezels JUST off of the fresh paint.

I did not have any round grommet pieces on my 67 tail light seals, and I've never heard of needing additional rubber grommets around the studs. Sounds like something the previous owner installed. Since your seals are new, I don't see why you'd need additional grommets. If you're concerned about sealing around the threaded posts just use a small amount of 3m strip caulk. The 3m strip caulk comes in handy in many different spots, like between front fender & apron, around rear bumper mounting bolts, etc.

mediawebserver

Link to 3m strip caulk: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=GSLRY5ZD4SgsXB20NJQ19WglSNZRWQSX0Dbl

+1 on the 3M strip caulk. I removed the rear wing on my 2006 Mustang, and used a body plug sealed with the strip caulk. It has never leaked despite heavy rains or moderate pressure at the car wash. That stuff is golden!

Think I'll pick up some of the strip caulk, looks like it'll do the trick. If I have to take it off again, is this stuff easy to remove?

Now that I look at it, I think that may be what was in the old ones. Guess somebody tried to stop the leaks with something like the 3M stuff, but the stuff they used is hard as a rock. Although it looks pretty uniform, it would be hard to do that with strip caulk I'd think <shrug>.

That 3M stuff is fantastic. I used it to also help seal between the gas tank and the trunk lip that it fastens to.

&quot;apollard&quot; said:
Think I'll pick up some of the strip caulk, looks like it'll do the trick. If I have to take it off again, is this stuff easy to remove?

Nope. It stays soft and can be removed without too much trouble. However, I don't know how it will hold up over a long, multi-year period.

&quot;cmayna&quot; said:
That 3M stuff is fantastic. I used it to also help seal between the gas tank and the trunk lip that it fastens to.

+1 on this, too, for me. The stuff works great and comes in handy on a LOT of fixes. I've bought it at the local NAPA and auto parts stores, so you shouldn't have to order it online.

This thread has me thinking!!!

With the finned tail panel like Jeff and I have is there supposed to be a seal between the finned panel and the lenses?

It seems to me like maybe the same seals might work.

You need to realize that those aren’t really seals. They’re just pads to keep the chrome off the paint (chipping). Originals and all the repops I’ve seen are the foam rubber type. Someone may have decided that the regular rubber type are better and/or cheaper, and are making them that way, now.

Regardless, I agree that it's wise to put something around the stems to seal that hole.

The big pad on the inside is the actual seal. But, those also are also "hard" rubber nowadays. They’re too hard IMO. I would supplement them with either strip caulk or that 3M Bedding & Glazing Compound (caulk tube). Every '67/'68 I've worked on has suffered rust (sometimes severe) as a result of watter getting between the big seal and the body - poor design.

Since I did the French thing, I need neither seal. 

&quot;johnpro&quot; said:
I used the NPD seals with new bezels (originals were very pitted), and I thought they fit very good. I was happy with the fit, in that the seals kept the bezels JUST off of the fresh paint.
Heck me to! :)

&quot;gtscode&quot; said:
This thread has me thinking!!!

With the finned tail panel like Jeff and I have is there supposed to be a seal between the finned panel and the lenses?

It seems to me like maybe the same seals might work.

I dont think they're needed on those - no exposed paint. Some puckey around the stems is still a good idea, though. If it were mine, I'd get some of that PCV camper tape, cut it off in squares, punch a hole in the middle, and stick that onto the taillight panel around the stem hole. Great seal and no mess to clean up.

Back