• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 Coupe - quarter windows

Gi-Ti-Up

Whether the windows are half way up or down I notice a back and forth play, is this supposed to exist?? I do note the window is held by two tracks with only three rollers and believe these are the culprits. But I don't know if this play is expected or not------- and then how to fix it?? Cheers, Bill Palmer

Gi-Ti-Up

tarafied, It's in the window - the three rollers are allowing the back and forth motion - is there a way of getting rid of this. Please, someone try moving their 67/68 quarter window back and forth. I could sure use some help on this one. Thanks tarafied. Bill Palmer

tarafied1

mine don't move back and forth, I know the 3 rollers your'e talking about. They should be making the window go up or down as you turn the crank. You could take that whole part out and the window shouldn't move back and forth. The window itself has a track unrelated to the the crank rollers. It sounds like it might be loose or a roller in that track is broken. Do you have the panel off? The tracks for the 3 rollers are separate pieces, like rails and bolt to the body. The window track is one piece with the rails for the window on it and the whole assembly can be removed together. I've attached a couple pics, one shows the window in the window track without the crank mechanism or related rails and the window is at the bottom of it's travel. The other shows the window track "plates" laying on the floor of the car. The windows still in the guides visible under the plates. Those guide the window up and down and should not let the window move back and forth. The 3 rollers are part of the crank that makes it go up and down only.
index.php

index.php

tarafied1

here is a better picture
3641FH.jpg
quarter_window_assembly_coupe_lh.jpg

this is what controls the window. The horizontal rail seen attached to the bottom of the window is what one of the three rollers goes in to make it go up and down, the other two rollers go into individual rails that bolt to the body. The assembly shown is probably where your issue is. The vertical rails you can see guide the windows travel without any back and forth movement. Either the whole thing is loose or the rollers in those tracks are bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gi-Ti-Up

Tarafied, I Thank You for the pictures - very gracious of you! I'm going to remove the complete track with window tomorrow. But I do know the window can be moved, by my hand, back and forth in the tracks. So I think I need new rollers ----- anyone know where I might get this item?? --- Tarafied, where did you get the pictures?? Cheers, Bill Palmer

tarafied1

it was getting ready for paint so the jams, trunk, etc. were painted first so I could put the car together.