• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 Fastback A code with K code engine

Last year I bought a 1967 Fastback 2 + 2. The owner a 90 year old Korean war Veteran that died and left it to his daughter. The car set in her garage never driven for 6 years before I bought it. She thought in was a numbers matching but wasn't sure. When I got the car home it car was leaking, oil, trans, and power steering fluid under carriage was covered with cob webs. Pulled engine and trans. Trans was rebuild, engine had been rebuild and was bored .40 over. New ring, bearings, valve springs and fresh cam. Turns out the engine was a 65AE-6015-E Hipro. My question is: Does they Hipro motor hurt the value of the car?

Roy

Attachments

• Engine bay.JPG
    Engine bay.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 28
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo 6.JPG
    Photo 6.JPG
    812.9 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo 8.JPG
    Photo 8.JPG
    819.1 KB · Views: 25
You have a desirable car from the simple standpoint it is a fastback. Being it is not a big block car, or a Shelby or such special variety the engine not being original to the body is not a big deal. Unlike Chevys, ford engine numbers are not specific to a car. They are date associated. In a range, even. If a purist wanted to make it "right" there are plenty of places to get a correct date coded engine to drop in. Some will say having a K code engine will actually add value just for sake of it being a K code engine even though not original to the car. I would think not so much added value but certainly added interest if choosing between similar 67s.
Stop worrying about it and just enjoy the ride!

I agree with the above posts, nice looking car. Tasteful and well done.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say it's a hipo 289? No matter what, a hipo 289 alone is worth a few coins, original to the car or not!

The casting number provided does not indicate one way or the other that the motor is a HiPo engine. Can you provide some photos or some more details. Thickness of balancer, carb numbers, cylinder head ID (cast in numbers on the top edge, etc. they should be a 19 or 20 or 21.

Note: The photo posted shows a non-HiPo distributor

PS. It would be a good idea to get a factory gas hard line from the pump to the carb. Using as all rubber line is not very safe.

Z

Last edited:
Back