• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 fastback roof side vent question?

LSTCUP

is there a gasket between the outside vent and the car, or does the vent tighten down paint to paint?

Gary:

Be aware that the metal lip along the bottom of the opening for the side vent needs to drain so sealing up the bottom might resultt in trapped water following rain, car wash, etc. FWIW the outer vent grills on my car contained no gasket or sealer, rather the seal was between the inside of the vent housing opening and the inner vent housing itself, plus there is a drain hose for the vent housing that allows water an escape route.

Thanks Jeff, I guess I'm worried about tightening the vent down on fresh paint, thought there might of been something between to protect the paint from chipping :shrug

"LSTCUP" said:
Thanks Jeff, I guess I'm worried about tightening the vent down on fresh paint, thought there might of been something between to protect the paint from chipping :shrug

I don't think it will chip... my car was painter three years ago and I did not put the above sealer on yet I wish I did since every time I wash the car there seems to be a bit of water trapped betwen the pot metal frame and the body that finds it way out well after the car has been dried. I always seem to be cleaning up latent water spots at cruise night. That's about the only reason I can think of for adding it... otherwise I don't think it makes much difference whether it is installed or not, but my preference would be to have it sealed.

Back