• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'67 fb build. AKA Mustang CPR

scubadds

A few years ago I had a few beers and shopped for a Fastback on ebay. (bad idea folks)
Well I ended up with this gem. (see photo below or follow up post) Hold the applause, it gets worse.
I took the car to Fayetteville to The Classic Chassis, well things went south there.
So I am redoing alot of the sheet metal.
I await new doors, new fenders and new full rear quarters from NPD.

Parts I have: Mustang II kit installed and shock tower delete. An E-car kit (not sure if that was a good idea), beautifully painted 9" rear 4.11 posi. Wilwood 12", red calipers. New rear seat, fiero seats to recover, most rear trim parts. A few other trim part, but that's about it. Dreaming of a new 5.0 motor, but that's along time away.

My Plan: Well here is were I get stuck. I want to do something to make it my own..... I like aspects of the E-car. A friend in town has an Unique Performance Eleanor, I know I don't want to go that far; but I do like the front end.
I am thinking of using the E front end, not using any fender flares or upper or lower "scoops" on the sides. Perhaps covering the upper sail panel area with metal sloped panel like the black grubbs car I will post pics of.
Shave drip rails (started on that), Weld over vent panels (done one side) Black out Chrome vent windows and either shave or black out door handles.
Just going for a "clean" look, but I haven't seen one like this in person and worried it may look odd.
The body shop has put holes thru the rocker panels for exhaust, so I guess I will use the E-car lower side rocker panel covers (ground effect part) and use side exhaust. I reinforced with steel tubing.
The rear end is where I am stumped. I like the look of the grubbs car with a 3" tail added onto stock deck lid and using eleanor/cougar lights; But I stumbled across the Matt black e-car photo yesterday and really like that also.
My experience: I restored (well, me and my body shop) a '65 FB which I sold to TV celebrity; the car was shown on MTV a few years ago. I've scratch build a Land Rover Defender 110 300tdi and rebuilt a d90 softop and parted out and rebuilt many discos. But I have alot to learn about mustangs. My last mustang I looked at the pile of parts that I couldn't reuse, and decided I wouldn't buy a complete car and throw away stuff; just start with the bare minimum; not sure about the choice right now, but if I get the doors and quarters to line up; I will feel better.
Some engine assembling experience on LR's and just got a miller welder and learning to weld. I am having the sheetmetal redone locally. Hope that all works out
Do I win some type of Humanitarian award for bringing back this one from the land of the dead and rusty?

Will follow up with progress pics if there is any interest.
Pics will be added to this or next post, I typed a long post and added a weird file type. The upload failed and had to retype all this

Attachments

• 48ef_1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 124
  • SA_640.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 128
more pics
Note the differences in the rear of the two cars....

Attachments

• DSC_2305.JPG
    824.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_2309.JPG
    801.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Nw_640.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 109
  • backend.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 41
Do I win some type of Humanitarian award for bringing back this one from the land of the dead and rusty?
Well, you should but you are not alone! Their are a few of us that have saved some pretty bad junk!
I like your ideas. I did a variation of the E-car on my coupe and incorporated a few Shelby touches like the grille and lights. I think it's going to be sweet!

"tarafied1" said:
Their are a few of us that have saved some pretty bad junk!
:roll
i saw gone in 60 in a movie theater which made it better, and i really wanted to make my 68 like it, leaving my Trans-am coupe ideas in the dust... i wonder too if i should have built the trans-am version because of all this fiberglass, i HATE fiberglass/ sand,mount,itch,sand,fill,ect.--but i am sure your fastback will look good, they always do....

Sweet Project.....

Fortunately you have the licence to do whatever you want with it!!!! Who did you buy the FG kit off?

P.S I see you also like the auld "Scrap-Rovers". Two of brothers love them things. I just can't understand the attraction...

DSC00822.jpg

DSC01176-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
off subject pics,
The fiberglass kit was bought at Charlotte Motor Speedway three years ago. They also made other Fiberglass parts, but it wasn't from a mustang vendor.

I can't recall off hand which kit, I had seen one on a FB completed and it looked great
There is a tag on it with the maker, but I'm at work and can't check

Maybe these guys?
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesnv.com/catalog/Eleanor/
But I don't recall them being in Nevada.....I will check later

Attachments

• DSCN1460.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 6
How is the fit on your kit?

I bought the South West Fabrications Kit and it took a lot of work to get right.

Fit....like a sock on a rooster.

Not sure, looks like it will be alot of trimming;
I expect the NPD order tomorrow; the fun begins!

Back