• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 Fb Sink or Swim?

coupster

Ok Guys and Gals-here it is. It came with 2 sets of door, fenders w/ headlight buckets, F &R valences, all interior fiberglass, and sideglass for fastback, all stainless trim. Good Rockers, trunk, firewall, Ok,

No hood, decklid, grill, motor, trans, front & rear glass, brakes, floorpans, trunk drops, bad quarters, 1 frame rail may need a patch. No interior seats, dash, wiring.
Originally a C code, 2v V8.

It will probably need a new top, full quarters, tail panel, drops, floor pans, toe boards, torque box(es), F & R aprons, battery tray. Also some work on the A pillars, and more work below the rear glass-decklid transition area.

I think I can get this done. But man is it going to be alot of work. I have a few choices for drivetrain(302/351C,C4,C6,T5,or 3 spd) I have 67 bucket seats, and also a 66 fold down rear. Longtubes or Tri-y's, edelbrock intake, autolite 4100.
Everything needs a rebuild
Would you do it?

Opinions?

IMG_0446.jpg IMG_0447.jpg
IMG_0445.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 13
You left out the most important piece of information. Cost. What does/did the car in starting form cost? If bought right than, yes, go for it as you can't go wrong doing the metal work yourself. As it comes together with each piece completed you climb further into the black. At least while still in the bodywork phase. Aster that, it becomes a different ball game.

Another way to look at it is, do you have the desire, time, etc to get into a project under that condition? If the wife or girlfriend or both are driving you up the wall and you need an excuse to go the garage........

Well, lets just say I believe I bought right...it only was $1500. I have the time (school teacher, so summers off) , a 15 year old and 10 year old sons, a shop, and a welder. The big issue is the other mustangs on the list in front of it. I have nearly finished the 68 coupe. It is time to revisit my 70 coupe...needs suspension and steering. Then I have a 65 fastback that needs major attention, its a running, driving car...but really needs to be tore down and finished correctly. And then there is the 65 falcon waiting for a drive train and interior. I have run out of room in my shop...I'm going to need to have a lean-to built on the side of my shop to keep everything dry ( good thing it doesn't rain much in S. Texas). . As far as the wife...She's has no problem with the cars....If I'm in the shop working...I ain't at the bar. HA! No she is content with her 2010 mustang. so no worries there. She encouraged me to get the 67 FB...saying..."when's the last time you saw a 1500 dollar fastback???"
Now you know why I married her.
This was definitely a car that got stripped and put to pasture. But it is salvageable. I couldn't pass it up, but man is it going to be a long process.

I guess I'm pretty lucky to have a dilemma of which mustangs to build first???

It sounds like you possess the skills and equipment to do most of the work yourself. I would say $1500 is well bought. It is a 67 fastback after all! If it were mine, I would replace most of it with a Dynacorn replacement body and save the headaches of rust repair.....let the flaming begin!

Nothing wrong with dynacorn parts. Mine will be a dynacorn replacement body when complete lol.

Bill

It will use what I have laying around, and yes, it will have dynacorn too! I like original, but I don't have the deep pockets for original/nos stuff. And after all it is only a C code fastback...nothing special. Getting it rolling again will be the goal, but this one will probably be the farthest from original of all the ones I have. I think I may have to go with the 351C-manual trans. I only have a W/C t-5, and a 3 speed. the C6 would be stout, but I like rowing the gears. I guess I will decide that when I get there. Who knows, will probably have more options for it when the time comes. I am guessing this car may have been an original Springtime yellow color, but who knows on the interior trim? ( I don't care for black, especially in S. Texas- will probably be Palomino if I stay w/ the Springtime yellow). It has many other colors/coats. There is no matching door tag, so it a guess at this point. Maybe a Marti report in the future.??

Both my cars are C code cars. I like these because I can do anything I want to them and not feel guilty for messing up something special. If I found a cheap 67 FB my 67 coupe would become a donor car for sure. If I found a 351 Boss in that condition, I would have to find the original colors and etc and put it back as original as I can.

So, I say do enough work to it so the rust and such doesn't get any worse, deal with the other projects you want to do first and then come back to it. As you find parts for it cheap you can pick them up and just wait. When you have all the parts and are ready to take it on, go for it!

Mel

So, I say do enough work to it so the rust and such doesn't get any worse, deal with the other projects you want to do first and then come back to it. As you find parts for it cheap you can pick them up and just wait. When you have all the parts and are ready to take it on, go for it!
Or you could just attack the metal work like a banshee, get all the new panels in place and sell it on for a HUGE profit and fund all the other projects.

I have a problem with letting these cars go...can't seem to sell them. Thats how i ended up with the list in my sig.

Back