• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 GT 390 Fastback

Thanks for all the great compliments!

I'll try to make it to the shop next week and see if there is any more progress.

I don't think it will be too long until it's home.

It sounds like the body guy is getting tired of seeing it in the shop and seems he is motivated to get it done now that it's painted.

I stopped by the body shop Thursday. He had not done anything else since I stopped by last time but, he did mention that I needed to figure out the color I wanted to pain the back panel grill.

Does anyone know the paint code for the argent?

Think I found it here. http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/1967-ford-ppg.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this but with a darker gray. I really like this look with the bare highlight edges.

Mustang-09.jpg

By the way Tony & Darrell, it looks like the plan is to take the car to my house in Vancouver, WA. As of right now I am not taking it back to Gladstone when it get s out of the shop. I'll send you a message when I get it home.

I took the back panel grill to a polisher and took a few more pics of the car while I was there at the body shop dropping it off.

DSCF1011.jpg

DSCF1008.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

I stopped by the body shop today to check up on things. It looks like just a few more things that they are going to do before we take it home. Looks like maybe it will happen next week.

I guess I should have wiped off the camera before I snapped the pictures. Some of them have spots.

DSCF1225.jpg

DSCF1233.jpg

DSCF1234.jpg

That damn body shop is really dusty.

DSCF1235.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

"GTchris" said:
I stopped by the body shop Thursday. He had not done anything else since I stopped by last time but, he did mention that I needed to figure out the color I wanted to pain the back panel grill.

Does anyone know the paint code for the argent?

Think I found it here. http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/1967-ford-ppg.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this but with a darker gray. I really like this look with the bare highlight edges.

Mustang-09.jpg

By the way Tony & Darrell, it looks like the plan is to take the car to my house in Vancouver, WA. As of right now I am not taking it back to Gladstone when it get s out of the shop. I'll send you a message when I get it home.

Sorry for being so late to this thread but your paint is spectacular. For future reference on the rear grill color, I used SEM bumper paint in a rattle can available from your well stocked local automotive paint suppliers. The color was "Ddark Titanium Metallic".

Congrats to date on your build. The color is killer.... but then I too am a sucker for BLUE. Lookin' great!

"Fast68back" said:
Very sharp, whats the plan for wheels and tires?

It's pretty sad but, the honest truth is I have only ever owned 1 car long enough to have to buy tires, and I have never bought a set of wheels. It took me over a year to decide on the paint color, I am hoping deciding on wheels does not take as long. A lot of people that I have talked to have suggested that they liked original 15" style steel wheels. I thought magnums, or gray torque thrusts would look pretty nice. As far as parts left to purchase wheels and tires have not been at the top of the list at the moment.

I really want to hear the car run. I am going to need quite a few things still before I get to that point. I need a fuel tank, battery, voltage regulator, fuel pump, radiator, starter solenoid, alternator, coil, spark plug wires, distributor cap, thermostat & housing. I am sure there are a few things I am missing too.

If anyone has any input on any of these items or anything else, advice is always appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

I think magnums look good on 67/68s. I know a lot of the people here like torque thrusts and other custom wheels, but I don't think magnums look out of place on any mustang.

Exhibit A:

Brittany Blue with pearl stripes and magnums.
1_06_09_08_12_42_25_15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those do look pretty good, I have seen them on a 67 and 68 before. To me they do look similar to the Kelsey Hayes that were on the 67 Shelbys?

I think the black on the wheels would really pop with the color I had the car painted.

I have not been working on the car very much but, I have done a few things since it got home.

I installed the repro battery tray. The bolt holes did not line up so I had to make some adjustments.

Where the middle hole is punched out, on the back side of the tray there is metal that is there causing the tray to not sit flush against the apron on the bottom. I am wondering if there should be a hole there drilled into the apron so if the battery leaks it runs out? The apron is a repro so there is not a hole there presently.

DSCF1032.jpg

I have several manuals that have pretty good diagrams, just wanted to make sure that this is the correct routing back here before I get too far along. The pictures I have it's hard to tell which way this wire is going and I am second guessing if it should go in between those 2 pieces rather than over the wheel well.

DSCF10382.jpg

I got the correct coded carb finally. I picked up an alternator but, the bolts that I have seem to be a bit too for the water pump. Fuel pump and lines installed.

I bought pre bent SS fuel lines that look really nice but, it seems that maybe they might need some tweaking. You can see where it sits now there is not going to be any room for the coil. I am pretty sure the line should go on (if looking straight at the engine) to the left of the coil but, it seems like it sat pretty close to the distributor. Maybe someone could chime in on that.

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the tailight wiring over the wheel well: Ford provided a plastic clip in the harness that plugs into a small hole on the flange above the wheel well near the upper part. If you don't have that piece, use an extra wire loom clip from the engine compartment to keep it out of the way of the hood hinges and such.

One of the things I really think that is cool about the '67 is deluxe interior. I had decided early on that I wanted to convert my car to a deluxe interior car.

After looking into this a bit I realized there was a bit more to changing a car over than just dash pieces and door panels. I picked up the grills for the doors and had hoped that the body shop would cut the holes and install them while the car was there. Well, they never got around to installing them.

I was out at Del Pro Saturday chasing down some bolts and mentioned to Del that I still had these grills sitting on the shelf. Del let me take a door that he had laying around to help me figure out where the holes are laid out. I do have lots of other things to do but, I don't want this door laying around any longer than it needs to be.

DSCF1001.jpg

I got the grills installed okay, I think they look pretty good.

DSCF1005-1.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

And then, I realize this hole for the wiring here was never drilled out on my car. Just little indents where the holes should be.

DSCF1002-1.jpg

:shrug

I found the bolts for the alternator bracket finally and cleaned up the thermostat housing, so I got those installed.

DSCF1003-1.jpg

I did some tweaking to the fuel line so that I was able to get the coil and bracket installed.

DSCF1002-2.jpg

I ran to the auto paint supply house the other day and picked up some clips for the grills in the turn signal louvers so, I got those installed.

DSCF1001-1.jpg

I have been working off and on, on the heater box. I finally got that finished. I am not sure what happened to the before pics but, I think this turned out pretty nice. I cleaned everything up, I installed a new seal kit and heater core.

DSCF1060.jpg

I decided to go with the AL heater core.

DSCF1062.jpg

DSCF1064.jpg

Maybe when the wife gets home I will have her give me a hand putting it in.

Congrats, car looks fantastic. I am currently restoring a 67 390 GTA fastback in England, this thread has certainly given me some motivation to get it finished. Look forward to seeing the finished article :wor

Darren

Back