• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 GT 390 Fastback

Thanks for the compliments all.

I brought the car back home with the exhaust installed. I did not take many pics because I am not exactly thrilled with the installation, and it's not 100% complete.

I took it to the local Midas shop where we have always taken our cars to be worked on, really nice people and an honest shop. They quoted me a price based on 4 hours of labor, after it was all done the guy said that he had almost 8 hours into the job. So, at the risk of getting flamed here, I felt bad and said it was fine since he was not going to bill me for more than what he had quoted me. I really wanted to ask him why there were welds where they were. I'm sure it will perform okay and no one should be sticking their head underneath and trash talking the welds.

I gave them the reproduction dual tips that I had purchased and when I got there to get the car, they were still sitting in the box. The installer tells me that the tips are for 2-1/4" exhaust, which I suppose is true but, I have read that you can mandrel them and make them work. He tells me that it would create a bottle neck and if I had wanted 2-1/4" exhaust I should have said something before he spent all that time making a 2.5" system.

He told me to go find some 2.5" tips then bring the car back and they will install them. So, now I have to figure out what to do with the tips.

I did this a little while ago but never posted the pics. I have seen a few threads with people asking about how to install the radiator hood seal that came on the 6 cylinder and big block cars. There might be a better way to do this but, I thought this was pretty easy and the install looks good.

The first seal I received was about 2" too short so, Bill at Rose City called up the guys at Scott Drake and had them send a longer seal. I should have done this before I installed the radiator but, I kept forgetting to get a longer seal and it took a while for it to show up.

First I pushed the staples up from underneath so that they were sticking up.

d046a508-8f6b-2550.jpg

d046a508-8fb1-0b3a.jpg

I pressed down on the seal so that the staples made marks on the seal. I used a set of vice grips and poked the staples through the seal.

d046a508-90ca-ac17.jpg

I then took a set of vice grips and a plastic body filler scraper and bent the staples.

d046a508-9053-afb7.jpg

d046a508-9061-d414.jpg

Finished. I put the staples under the flap and the seal goes all the way from side to side.

d046a508-90e5-18d1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife decided we are going to the coast. They are having some sand castle building thing going on.

I really wanted to go to the show. If the builder does not flake out tomorrow and nothing major happens it should be running by this weekend.

Ummm...doesn't the thin flap go towards the back? It looks like you have it going towards the front...

Today I worked on the interior for a bit before the engine builder showed up.

1815866f-4869-5e3e.jpg

I got the one lower quarter panel installed then the builder showed up. This is a reproduction part. It looks like it fits pretty good, it had to be painted though as the abs plastic is really shiny.

Then the builder showed up and the engine will not turn over.

He said that I need to take off the inspection cover and check to see if the arm it out of whack and jamming things up. He asked that if the tranny went in smooth or did I suck it down the last little bit with the bolts. I did tighten it down the last little bit so, he said I might have to pull the tranny as that might be causing it to bind up.

I might look at the car tomorrow. I'm getting drunk at the moment.

"Midlife" said:
Ummm...doesn't the thin flap go towards the back? It looks like you have it going towards the front...

It's installed the same direction as the 2 - '68 GT 500's I just looked at.

I pulled the inspection cover and
it looks like everything is okay.

1815866f-7807-6889.jpg

1815866f-7826-a940.jpg

1815866f-784c-de13.jpg

So, I pulled the transmission away from the bell housing then tried to give the engine a turn. It's still stuck.

I am going to get the engine ready to pull, then I am taking the car to the engine builders house.

Today I put the drive shaft back in, removed the starter, un- bolted the exhaust, un-bolted the bell housing from the block.

Then I worked on the interior for a while.

1815866f-0708-32dd.jpg

1815866f-0796-acd8.jpg

This upper corner on the passenger side weather strip is about pissing me off. I cleaned the strip, I put adhesive on the trim and the strip. I taped the crap out of it, left the window rolled up for 4 days and it still pops out.

1815866f-083f-4784.jpg

The driver side is perfect.

I pulled the car out of the garage today and drained the radiator to pull it. Rusty water came out. I just put water in it for the first time a couple weeks ago.

I got a hold of the builder today. We are towing the car to his house next Tuesday.

Rusty water? Is the engine rebuilt? If so did they hot tank the block? Is the radiator new, rebuilt or original? Seems kind of odd to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim at C's did all the machine shop work on the engine. The builder just assembled it. There are pics of the engine as it was going together on the first page of this thread.

The radiator I bought from CJ's. I think it was last year. This was the first time anything had water in it.

So, any guesses on what I might be looking at when it gets pulled apart and what it could cost?

"67 Fastback" said:
Chris, I just realized who you are. I remember you from fordmuscle.

Bill

I started originally posting the progress over there but, never really got much help, I still update the thread though.

Then I stumbled on this site and started posting over here.

I saw your post there the other day and went to the SBF and took a peek to see how your car was coming along.

I keep the same progress here. I really just keep it updated there for a few guys that have been big helps to me. I mostly hang out here with this bunch of losers :roll

Bill

Installed the fold down seat today.

1815866f-20fc-e91f.jpg

This is the chrome trim that I used. I thought it looked pretty good and the fit seemed okay too.

1815866f-2119-b377.jpg

Here are the parts that I have left over. There are extra parts in the box and I had a few of my originals re-plated.

1815866f-2156-f94c.jpg

I am missing one of these clips

1815866f-21b0-76c0.jpg

Worked on the car all day today.

Lots of small projects to finish up, I'm sure this will be ongoing forever.

I re-covered all the seats my self with the help of my wife.

1815866f-12ef-c2bd.jpg

1815866f-12ff-e8af.jpg

I do not like the look of the white Hurst knob. I think I will get the T handle instead.

Then this afternoon towed the car off to the engine builders and pulled the engine.

1815866f-1370-48b1.jpg

1815866f-137b-9b24.jpg

Big blocks are such a pain in the ass.

The builder is going to tear it apart tomorrow so, hopefully the news is not terrible.

Back