• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 use orig brake prop valve or go adjustable?

1965GTFB

67 oirg factory pwr disc brake car.
Your opinions on if I should:
Rebuild and use the orig proportioning valve that is located at the back of the car
or
Install an adjustable proportioning valve and add a short section of line at the rear to replace the orig valve and add the tubing needed to route through the adj prop valve.

Basically, if the factory prop valve is set right for the factory disc/drum setup is it worth the work and part to add an adj prop valve under the hood that will likely rarely if ever be adjusted? Is the factory setting on the orig type valve not really the ideal bias anyway?

I have no experience with factory prop valves. Installed adjustable ones in both Mustangs. Hopefully someone will chime in with the factory one experience.

The answer depends upon whatcha got. Is it stock? If it departs from being totally stock, you'll want the adjustable valve under the hood.
If it was my deal, I'd bypass the rear prop valve and put in a dial-adjustable part. (I don't really care if the car is perfectly stock but you might)
I know the 65/66 valve wasn't quite perfect for bias and I'm willing to bet the '67 unit is probably the same deal. 65/66 at least was
easily adjustable though.
On the street, you'll very infrequently have need to adjust a dial-adjustable valve. At the track, I'd put such an item inside so I could
vary the bias depending upon track/tire condition.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Back