• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'68 3/8" 2pc. fuel line routing?

Jonk67

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this applies to engine drivetrain as it's fuel for the engine, I couldn't find a better section to post.

Well i replaced my '67 5/16" metal fuel line from the tank to FP with a new '68 3/8" line. The '67 routing is along the trans tunnel, thru a hole in the forward tunnel crossbar/reinforcement, under the frame and up the outer frame to the front apron.

The '68 runs along the rocker just inside the crimp lip to the drivers torque box. I have a hole on the rear of the torque box but none on the front of the torque box. It looks like there should be a hole in the front torque box to line up with the rear hole as this is how the 2pc. fuel line lines up.
Is this correct?

Can anyone supply a pic of the drivers torque box front (directly behind the tire)? or measurements from the frame to center of hole and bottom of torque box up to the center of the hole? I want to make sure this is right before I drill a hole.
On top of this I can't find my camera to take a good pic for an example.
Thanks, Jon

Does this help?

68fuelline.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonk67

That's exactly what I'm talking about, thanks a bunch, is that about and inch up and inch out to the center of the hole? I have the hole on the backside but not that one so I need to drill it I guess.
Thanks again,
Jon

Do you run subframe connectors? Do you plan to? Reason I ask is the '67 routing may work better, or the 69/70 fuel line since it runs up along the frame rail and to the fuel tank behind the rear tires and not in front. Most subframe connectors do not take the fuel line into account.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Rick,
You beat me to it........I was thinking the same thing. Do all SFC's have the same interference issues with the late 67/68 fuel line routing? As most know, I installed 69/70 line just to remedy this issue for the future Maier SFC's.

Jonk67

I'm installing GW subframes later and figured I could just 'bend' the fuel line where needed but I'll keep the '69/'70 tip in mind. Anyone have trouble with GW and the '68 sill mounting?
Jon

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I don't know for sure but odds are the SFC's will want to crush the fuel line against the underside. I don't know if you will have the extra play or slop in the fuel line to bend where needed to go around the SFCs.