• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'68 390 GT Convert project update 9-22-10

JeffTepper

Dateline 9-22-10********* Here are the latest pics**********

24_22_09_10_9_28_55_0.JPG

24_22_09_10_9_28_56_1.JPG

24_22_09_10_9_28_56_2.JPG

I apologize for the lack of posts on the project progress, but I have been busy. Right now the car is at the trim shop having the new topping and rear curtain installed. It should be done by Tuesday so I'll have an opportunity to take some pics and post them here next week. SInce the last update in April, the engine/trans has been installed and broken in (thanks to Craig & Justin for their help) The power steeering components were refurbished and installed; the glass has been installed and aligned; the weatherstripping has been installed; the bolt on body panels have been installed and aligned; the engine compartment has received all new wiring; rebuilt master cylinder and brake booster have been intalled; grill, lights, bumpers, and shiny trim has all been installed. Remaining tasks include the A/C, the steering wheel refurbishing, the rest of the interior, the GT stripes, rocker panel moldings and a few other odds and ends. I also need to get under the car again to adjust the shift linkage as it is a bit clunky and hangs up occasionally. Lastly, courtesy of Frank, we have a set of black plates with a '68 tag that will be going on shortly.********

The car was carted off to paint a week ago. Enjoy.....

24_13_04_10_1_40_36_4.JPG

24_13_04_10_1_40_31_1.JPG

24_13_04_10_1_40_33_2.JPG

24_13_04_10_1_40_35_3.JPG

I finally had a chance to snap some post disassembly shots of the car I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I continue to be amazed at how solid the car is....the floor rust consits of a couple of holes smaller than a dime!! At any rate, here is the first installment .........
24_18_02_10_10_30_57_4.JPG

24_18_02_10_10_30_56_3.JPG

24_18_02_10_10_30_54_2.JPG

24_18_02_10_10_30_53_1.JPG

24_18_02_10_10_45_50_0.JPG

24_18_02_10_10_30_51_0.JPG

Also, the Marti report came in and the car appears to be a substantially original San Jose built, San Francisco White over Parchment (1 of 89) car with the following options:

390 -4V Engine
4 Speed Manual Trans
3.00 Limited Slip Axle
Power Top with Glass Backlight
GT equipment Group
Electric Clock
Visibility Group
FR70 Wide Oval Radial Whitewall Tires (these were not that common back then were they??)
Console
Deluxe Steering Wheel
Power Disc Brakes
PowerSteering
Air Conditiioning
AM Radip
Tinted Glass
Heavy Duty Battery

An engine has been located and acquired and is now at the machine shop for freshening;

All new brake components have been acquired and await installation;

A parts list has been started........

Weather permitting, I hope to have the engine bay stripped and detailed along with the front suspension and steering within the next several days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: '68 390 GT Convert project photo updates

Jeff, that car is going to be a great project! I am incredibly jealous of your lack of rust on that thing. Fantastic. Sounds like you'll be driving her in no time.

'68 390 GT Convert project photo updates

Looks great Jeff. Do I see a Shelby drop there in the shock tower shot. I do not know that I ever seen a white on white Mustang before. Are you planning on original or are the plans still up in the air? fd

Alright Jeff! Glad to see the party has started! WooHoooooo!

Nicely optioned car Jeff..... still very envious over here.

If you could find and post up a picture of a completley rotted torque box.... or better yet.... a lower cowl panel.... that would be great. Lie to me, I don't care. I'd just like to feel better about you having the car and not me.

"daveSanborn" said:

If you could find and post up a picture of a completley rotted torque box.... or better yet.... a lower cowl panel.... that would be great. Lie to me, I don't care. I'd just like to feel better about you having the car and not me.

Dave, Jeff sent me this picture of his cowl.... :dh

P1020880.jpg

"daveSanborn" said:

Dave, for a mere $2,000 this California gem could be yours. I think it was parked at the beach a little too long.....................................

http://www.mustangbeginnings.com/detail.asp?ID=7F03T198xxx0039

Is that the back seat or the convertible top falling out through the trunk drop off?

7F03T198xxx0039_03.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
Dave, Jeff sent me this picture of his cowl.... :dh

P1020880.jpg

I knew it! It was too good to be true. I feel soooooo much better now!

"Fast68back" said:
Is that the back seat or the convertible top falling out through the trunk drop off?

7F03T198xxx0039_03.jpg

...........dead body.............

Very nice vert. Look forward tomore pictures and progress updates.

Re: '68 390 GT Convert project photo updates 3-3-10

I know it's been a while since the last installment but the weather here has been unusually lousy so the bulk of my efforts have been doing small things like refurbishing the instrument cluster, refinishing the hub caps and gas cap, inventorying the loose parts that came with the car, media blasting a bunch of small parts and continuing with developing the parts list. This afternoon we picked up the freshened engine from the machine shop and got it home and installed on an engine stand......all the while dealing with a downpour and flooded gutters. I've got to take the starter and alternator in for testing and refurbishing as necessary. The carb that came with the car is not original and the list # is not something Holley admits to having made!!! I'm heading over to Goodies with the carb and see which 4160 kit will work. As soon as the sky clears, (tomorrow maybe) I will get some updated pics up for viewing.

Other people in CA just put up a tent in their driveway, this way the great stuff :nick does not get wet..

Rick:

Normally, the tent idea would have some merit, however, I do have some high end neighbors and in this neighborhood it would be fairly conspicuous..........keeping under the radar does require some discretion!! What I really need is a four car garage at home and a nice warehouse nearby like Craig's or Chuck's where I can play with my toys.

'68 390 GT Convert project photo updates 3-3-10

"JeffTepper" said:
dealing with a downpour and flooded gutters. As soon as the sky clears, (tomorrow maybe) I will get some updated pics up for viewing.

Don't you just love our "El Nino" years. Good to hear that you are still making progress. fd

Re: '68 390 GT Convert project photo updates March 5 scroll down...

Wow Jeff, you are working at a record pace. You're making a lot of us look bad, lol. Nice work, I look forward to seeing it come together.

Re: '68 390 GT Convert project photo updates April 13th, scroll down...

Geez, you are cuising right along. Makin me feel bad for the 9 years of nothing I did to my stang.

Re: '68 390 GT Convert project update 8-24-10

Here are the pics I promised the other day. They include the engine drop, the first drive around the block after the engine drop, and all of the body pieces that have rejoined the car since the last set of pics. Also is the new top that was installed over the past couple of days. There are some odds and ends in the form of trim and stripes on the exterior and then the rest of the interior and it should be done. Enjoy:

24_24_08_10_5_52_48_1.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_52_50_2.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_55_28_0.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_55_29_2.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_55_29_1.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_55_30_3.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_52_51_4.JPG

24_24_08_10_5_55_31_4.JPG

Back