• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Coupe Daily Driver - Keeping it running and trying to impove it

Re: 68 Coupe Daily Driver - Wreck Repair

Ground makes some sense, the wires were just black. BTW Midlife, All the wires and connectors I removed went into my for midlife box.

there is another 68 Stang in the garage... or is it not yours?
ABWreck016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John has a very nice '68 Blue bonnet special tucked away in his garage....

Did you find all the sheetmetal you needed?

"tarafied1" said:
there is another 68 Stang in the garage... or is it not yours?

I am building it for my wife. I need to start and the drive train soon! She is getting tired of waiting.

This is what I started with.
BeforeFrontLeft.jpg

This is what it looks like now.
DBSuspBefore.jpg

I guess I need to start a build thread for it.

"Fast68back" said:
Did you find all the sheetmetal you needed?

I still need a passenger fender and headlight extension. If I do not find an original by Friday, I just pick an Ford Tooling one from Dallas Mustang. I have not even though of the trim yet, I want to get the paint done first.

Got all the electrical hooked up and the engine cranks. Next is add the belts and radiator.
ABWreck017.jpg

ABWreck018.jpg

I need to refinish all the fender hardware. looks like I have some sandblast and plating time coming up. I just can not bring myself to put on any part that has some rust on it.

John,

Do you still need that OE grille and those trim pieces that I scavenged out of storage? I offered them up to you, but they've just been sitting on my workbench since then. If you still need them let me know and I'll get them packaged and sent out pronto. I've been going through the winter "blahs" over here. It's dark when I get home from work and usually too cold on the weekends to get me off the couch.

Yes I do still need the parts. I sent you a PM with my address. I been cold and gloomy here also. Today's high was just 31.

Puting body panels back on. I was able to salvage the Valance and stone deflector/
ABWreck019.JPG

The hood now latches.
ABWreck020.JPG

A pile of rusty hardware that I need to refinish. I just can not bring myself to put anything rusty back on.
This is what is taking me the longest to do.
ABWreck021.JPG

Looking good. Won't be too much longer before it's back on the road!!

"monkeystash" said:
AMK kits are available for all those rusty nuts & bolts.

http://www.amkproducts.com/Ford_Master_Kits.asp
I know there are kits and I have used them but I like do this. Plus I have all the plating equipment.

I got it all together (except for the trim) and talked to a painter today. He is going to get back to me in a couple days with the estimate. I want all the panels painted off the car. At least I am driving it now.

"beach pony" said:
Nice work John. You staying on budget?

On parts I came in way under budget. Lets see how well the painter does now. I am waiting on the painter's quote. The insurance quote was low. They did not quote painting both sides of the body panels. I am trying to get the whole car painted.

Thanks Dave for the grill. I will be refinishing the grill and adding fog lights while the mustang is getting painted.

Before paint
ABWreck022.JPG

Great progress!

Is your blue a metallic? Hopefully you won't have to pay to paint more parts than necessary to "blend" the paint.

Who was your insurance company?

If you are going to plate anyhow, that pile of rusty bolts is perfect for the acid treatment. I use a little container of powdered citric acid from a farmers market or specialty food store and mix it with a 2L bottle of diet pepsi. Sit the bolts in it overnight, and in the morning all you have to do is rinse, dry, and plate. I've spent a lot of time in the blasting cabinet cleaning rusty bolts, and usually all I have to show for it after several hours blasting is worn through gloves and a bucket of clean bolts I could have cleaned effortlessly in the acid.

Back