• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 deluxe door panel conversion ?

I have one I'll try to find. My doors were actually from a 67 so there were no dimples to drill, although I don't know if 68 doors would have had them.

I went through a very laborious process of test fitting and measuring everything before I drilled any holes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You can see below basically how the strap goes. I used the holes in the door panel to scribe a reference mark for the hole that goes where metal is (left pull handle hole as pictured). Then I measured the center point for the other screw position that goes where the plastic clip is in the center of the new strap. I held measured, marked, measured, marked, measured, marked, and then held the strap in place with some clamps, held the door panel in place to confirm the hole position, then went back and marked and drilled the holes. So that is the strap.

You also have to drill new holes for the arm rest. The 67 door that I have didn't have enough "filler" for the right arm rest hole as pictured. I had to add a piece of scrap there to then drill. The standard arm rest screw clips need to be removed. If you have a square punch, you punch new holes and re-insert the clips. I chose to just drill holes in the spot I wanted and go with that.

If you look close in the pics below, you'll see the fresh drill holes I used for the strap and the arm rest.

Back