• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 fastback quarter vent paint colors

sigtauenus

What color was the piece that looks like a grate or a mesh grill that goes between the outer vent and the hard plastic ribbing on the outer vent assembly on fastbacks?

I've seen black and body color, but all that I've disassembled have been repainted in the past so its hard to tell what was original and what was lazy repaint work.

Color of my 68 is Highland Green.

KBMWRS once told me the "correct" color is natural metal....no paint...on that part. I decided to paint mine black anyway!!! :)

The ones that I used appeared to be painted the original body color but I chose to paint the grates silver.

The inner most louvre was painted satin black, the grates painted silver ( base coat/clear coat) and the outer louvre is highland green.
Personally I think the silver adds a nice level of depth / detail.

It should be a natural gray color. I painted Trouble's detail gray, even though the car isn't concours.

"sigtauenus" said:
Is the inner most louver you refer to the hard plastic piece?
Yes... Some are plastic and some are cast aluminum or pot metal. I had a set of each but the plastic ones were cracked so I used the metal ones and painted them satin black.

EDIT - I just looked up the paint code I used... It's a 2005 Jaguar color - MDZ - Platinum Silver. It has somewhat of a darker tint than a bright silver.

Sam,
I painted my metal screens with a chrome paint to make them stand out against the Highland Green exterior. Behind the screens the interior panel is black.

4_11_02_10_8_10_55_0.JPG

4_11_02_10_8_10_55_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"cmayna" said:
Sam,
I painted my metal screens with a chrome paint to make them stand out against the Highland Green exterior. Behind the screens the interior panel is black.

+1 I did the exact same thing... Satin black on bottom piece, painted silver on the middle screen and obviously body color on the exterior louvers.

Back