• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 shifter location

wayjon0

At some point in the past a B&M shifter was installed and they cut the hell out of the floor. They ended up using an old license plate to fill in some of what was removed. I was wondering if anyone could give me the dimensions of the original hole in the floor for the shifter. I'm hoping that length, width and distance from the firewall will get me close enough that I can fine tune it when I get the new transmission.

Using the firewall is not the best reference point since the tunnel curves up a lot heading towards the firewall. Besides, my heater box is in the way. Instead if you drop a plumb line from the metal portion of the dash right above the radio bezel, down to where it touches the tunnel, the front edge of the hole is 1-1/8" behind the plumb line.

Or another reference point might be the hump halfway along the tunnel between the seats. The back edge of the hole is 17-7/8" forward from the middle of this small hump.

Side to side reference: Right hand edge of opening is 26-1/2" from the inner wall of the RH rocker.

Actual opening is 3-3/4" long (along the tunnel) by 3 5/8" wide.

Hope this helps.

Back