• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70 Mach 1- How wide can you go?

miketyler

I have 315/35-17's on the back of my 72 Cuda and 275/40-17's on front. The wheels are TT2's and are actualy Mustang fitment. How can I get that size wheel and tire under my 70 Mach1? To pull off the clearance on the rear of the Cuda, I had to install a rear spring relocation kit that moved the leaf springs in 1.5 inches.

Interior mini-tubs and fender lip rolling would prbably be required. You may be able to just move the inner wheel house in a few inches and section in a strip of metal to fill that gap between inner and outer houses as well. Either way, you have a little work involved.

My stats:

Fronts are 245/40/17 (8" rim)
Rears are 275/40/17 (9" rim with 6" backspace) I later added a 3/8" spacer.

If the wheels are Mustang fitment why not take them off the Cuda and put them on the Mustang. I would love to see some pictures of where you may have clearance problems and it would give all of us a visual of what mods to make.

magnums011-1.jpg

magnums010-1.jpg

Holidays2007099.jpg

Holidays2007102.jpg

Holidays2007100.jpg

Holidays2007103.jpg

28DEC08CHRISTMAS171a.jpg

315/35/17's

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats EXACTLY what I am talking about. Look like you are running Sumitomo's like I have on the Cuda. The rears on the Cuda are TT2's and are 11" wide rims w/ 7" backspacing (I think). Is that what you are running? What did you have to do to get there? Any suspension mods or sheetmetal wizardry? Do you have any more profile pics of your car? Some of 15-20 ft away?

Thanks, here are the specs for my setup.

Front:

Style: Bullitt Finish: Anthracite
Size: 17x8 Centercap Size: Large (2-1/2")
Back Spacing: 5.72" (145mm) Offset: +30mm (1.18")
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5" (5x114.3mm) Fitment: 94-09 V6, GT, Bullitt,
Mach 1, and Cobra.

Tires are Sumitomo 245/45/17

Rear:

Style: Bullitt Finish: Anthracite
Size: 17x10.5 Centercap Size: Large (2-1/2")
Back Spacing: 6.8" (174mm) Offset: +28mm (1.10")
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5" (5x114.3mm) Fitment: 94-04 V6, GT, Bullitt,
Mach 1, and 94-98 Cobra

Tires are Sumitomo 315/35/17

I am using the Vintage Venom Cobra brake kit, it uses a
1" hubcentric spacer in the front and a 7/16" in the rear.

I did do the 1" Shelby drop in the front. I did have to massage the front of the rear inner fender wells. I do intend to roll all the fender lips just for piece of mind. Removed the slapper bars and have installed 5 leaf Mid-eye springs since these pics. Also have a Maiers racing adjustable panhard bar to install when I get the chance.

This is how its sitting now w/ the new rear springs, I have thought about getting the rear a little lower though but still not sure.

Carlisle08Winter09211.jpg

Carlisle08Winter09209.jpg

Carlisle08Winter09206.jpg

Carlisle08Winter09210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't go wider because I'm lowered & my wheels are set up in my wheel wells. I'm close to the wheel well lip as it is.

Jeremy,
How much clearance do you have between the rear quarter lip and the tires? Its crazy that one guy can fit a 315 tire with 10.5" rim and you could only go 275 with a 9" rim. You are lowered which plays a part, but do you have a few inch clearance at the quarter lip? It appears you two have similar clearance between the leaf springs.

My lip is not rolled. And as it sits, I can barely squeeze my fingers between the tire and lip at an angle.

In other words, it's really close. But with full suspension travel the tire cleares the wheel well lip.

Barely.

So where the heck is the rest of the 1.5" of rim fitting on the grabber blue mach? This is weird, something doesn't add up.

It sure looks to me that his wheel sticks out past the top of the wheel well lip to me. My tire is actually up inside, where his looks to not be.

I think that is the difference. Maybe?

Back