• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70_Fastback: RAT ROD - 193x Ford / 1942 GMC Truck

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
She's rough - but she's all mine. Went and picked it up Satuday. Was about an hour and 30 away from me.

I'm still not exactly sure what year it is. Any one have any additional input. I've been googling images - but none seem exact yet. He was advertising it as a 38-41 vintage. They all look close, but nothing exact.

He had the frame with it, but it was trashed beyond repair and really of no interest to me. I will fabricate a custome frame for it. Easier to start with new metal.

I will finish striping the cab within the next few weeks and get it to the blasters so I can see how deep of stuff I am in... :ep

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm pretty excited. I'm wanting to start designing the frame fairly soon.

26_23_11_09_7_19_49_1.JPG

26_23_11_09_7_19_49_2.JPG

26_23_11_09_7_19_50_3.JPG

26_23_11_09_7_19_50_4.JPG

26_23_11_09_7_19_20_4.JPG

(This is the worst rot on the truck - which is all flat metal)

26_23_11_09_7_19_19_2.JPG

Pretty cool dash.... hope I can somehow reuse the gauges...?
26_23_11_09_7_19_19_3.JPG

26_23_11_09_7_19_19_1.JPG

Call me crazy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Got my next project. RAT ROD - '39(?) Ford Truck

What a fun looking project. Just don't paint it GO.

LoL; no - it won't be GO Craig.

It will have the "rat rod" look to it, without the harshness. More like a "faux" ratrod finish. I like the light, pea green-ish color shown on the passenger side. My "plan" would be to paint it that color. Then hit it with one light coat of a little darker green, then block sand most of the dark back off and then hit it with a flattended coat of clear. I'll need Sluggo's input on the clear since he did that on his black. You readin' dis Sluggo?

And yeah Dave, LOTs of work.

Have fun and good luck. God knows you'll need it. I've got a complete drivetrain in a '74 LTD if you become interested.

Should be fun for sure. Doin' 50 mph in the garage....that rig is wanting to hit the road....lol

Hey Pete, since you seem to have some spare time and like surfing the internet; do you think you may be able to spend some time and try to verify the exact year ? :) Just based on pics?

I'm debating on that Jack. At a minimum, I plan on cutting the bottom off the entire cab - appx 4 to 6" as well to help "lower" it - plus that area is damaged somewhat as well...

Do the doors have one, two, or three ridges or groves in the belt line?

38/39 have three raised portions, 40/41 have two.

38/39 have wipers on cab above windshield, 40/41 have them below.

Doors were pretty much inter-changeable for size.

Still looking..............

That's the problem i was running into as well Pete. It appears just one convexed groove, maybe 1-1/4" in width...

Any hints from the plate mounted on the firewall/cowl?

Can't read it to well Bob. I need to put a piece of paper on it and see if I can do a transfer with a crayon or something. It's an embossed tag.

And to be honest, I really have not looked that hard at it yet.

Looks like fun. I kind of wanted to the same body style truck myself.

I stored my neighbors 39 chevy truck in my garage for awhile and kinda started to like it. He's doing a full restoration, but I'd rather do a hotrod or ratrod truck.
mia_image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe it is a 1939 Hudson...

"midpack" said:
With Ford gages in the dash?

LoL; it;s kind of a long running, inside joke. Do a search on here for "Hudson" and you'll see.

I had Bonnie tell them that I bought a new project, so they missed out on getting MY cash... :vic

They can get my cash if the price is right........just sayin', can't pas up a deal...lol

I am thinking it is a 39 cab with 40 doors.........maybe that was the case in late 39/early 40.

Fun vehicles for sure. My first vehicle was a '45 Ford 1/2 ton my Dad bought for him to drive at first. It was a WWII left over he bought in '61.

Neat Project J. How hard is it going to be to title in Kansas?

It's actually rather easy on the Kansas side Jake. An acquaintance, through a friend, just went through the process on his rat rod. I talked to him Saturday morning. He said to not let that deter me from buying it.

Back