• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

9" Rear Options - '66FB

"daveSanborn" said:
You can get a replacement center section (with TracLoc) for a LOT cheaper than $800. You should be able to find something in the $2-300 range.

i'd like to know where?!

Do you have new rear springs? You need to fix the wheel hop!

leaf springs are not new... how do i know when they go bad? can i just install a traction device like under-ride bars (Traction Masters, CalTracs, etc.)?

You get new springs (4 1/2 leaf or more) the wheel hop should go away. At least for me it did.

I removed my under riders and still no hop!

Something else to put out there, if you think you are pushing your car hard on the street, it's probably closer to 1/4 of what "hard" really is. Go to the track and you'll see what I mean!

It's more fun too :pep :pbj

"hivewax" said:
car needs to master the street before the track. :nice

You don't know what you're missing :nice

Just trying to get another go fast crack pipe addict :toot :toot

Decent springs in the back will be all that's needed with those tires to eliminate wheel hop. I have no wheel hop at all in my '69 with 15/275/50's in back behind the 408/TKO. They are also BFG Radial T/A's. I have no traction, but no wheel hop, either :conf

Not sure if anyone has suggested it, but this is what I did for my 66 fastback with a 351:

A local rear end shop has a source for 1960s full-sized car (Galaxie, Monterey, T-Bird, etc.) 9 inch housings and pumpkins. They simply cut the axle housings off the big car 9s and grafted the housings from my 8-inch (which was fried by that Windsor) on to the big car center section.
I had them build the center section as a Trac-Lok unit (4-spider) and used my 28-spline axles out of my original 8-incher. The results are very tough to distinguish from an original early Mustang 9-incher. The rear end guy also upgraded my backing plates at the same time to use 2-inch wide 68 and later big block Mustang shoes. Again, you'd have to be an expert to differentiate this setup from a stock HiPo Mustang. And the cost was under $1200.

I also had the option of simply building a beefier 8-incher with a 4-spider setup. I am told this combo yields a rear that is darned near as strong as a 9 -- but many pounds lighter. For whatever reason, I chose to go with the 9 for my fastback. But I'm currently building a 65 Cyclone (331 powered) with a beefed up 8-incher.

majority of people voted for a 9", so i went with it... 31-spline Moser axles, 3.50 gears, stock length. in the future, i have the option of swapping in more HP.

Just got the rear end yesterday. The housing is bare metal. Does it need to be prepped clean before priming? What did you use?

"hivewax" said:
Just got the rear end yesterday. The housing is bare metal. Does it need to be prepped clean before priming? What did you use?

Grease and wax remover, clean it up with some 400 grit, G&W remover again, prime, paint, install.

"hivewax" said:
Cool. I bought mineral spirit, 320 grit paper. I don't need high-heat primer & paint, correct?

I just used Eastwood's chassis black.

Back