• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

93 A/C Compressor Install Advice?

hevyrockerdk

Morning all!

Okay, I'm not going to lie to you guys, I don't really know my way around the engine bay as well as most around here, I primarily work with computers and servers, and do some security work as well. But one thing I do have....the drive to learn.

I've dealt with brake components, rotors, exhaust, and taking apart the hubs of a 4x4, and (usually) change my own oil, but I haven't really played around in the engine bay too much.

That being said, I have a replacement compressor already on hand, and I've found a few things on google about it, but I want to hear, from first-hand experience, some tips and tricks (and things I should look out for or prepare to purchase additionally) while undertaking a project such as this.

For starters, I know I'll be needing to get a new deep socket set, of the mechanic's type, as most of the work I did before was done at the hobby shop on base, where they had all the tools I needed, and then some. With getting out of the military and moving to a place nowhere near a base, I lose all of that tool access, unfortunately. (Unless I can find a local shop willing to hook me up...but I doubt that.)

I'll take anything: links, words, photos, whatever. Thanks in advance, guys!

(Hey, at least I'm honest about my technical abilities...)

When I do actually get around to dropping it in, though, I will provide plenty of photos of the process, just in case someone else shows up in my shoes one day.

Nothing? I plan on looking into this probably in the next few months, I'm just trying to get all the info possible before I actually get into it...

Here's a short video. First make sure it's the compressor and not the clutch. Also I would not use a dirty paper towel as seen in the video to plug the hose. IF you don't have the recovery system and the system is still charged then you may want to consider taking it to the garage (you may). IMO you will need to take it in for a recharge once you have it replaced. The system will need to be vacuumed out before the new freon is pumped in. The equipment to do this is expensive so that part you will need to have it done at the garage. Also pay attention to the oil requirement. YOU MAY need to add oil once the old compressor is off. I'm not sure if the replacement compressors will have the necessary oil required or not. Again take a look at the video. The replacement work is not hard but my guess is you will still need the services of a garage to recharge the system. Oh yeah, don't leave the system open and keep the lines plugged while you are working (as soon as you take them loose), mosture and dirt can easily enter the system and cause trouble. Good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ULcit40Ilc

Awesome, thanks for the advice, I'm on my phone at the moment, I'll have to watch that video when I get home.

Thanks again!

Derrick

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Back