• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A better way to clean windshields

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Many of you know to use newspapers and your favorite window cleaner to clean windows. Did you know that going over a clean windshield with a dry newspaper helps to remove streaks?

I tried this on my newer car (the blue-hair sedan), but the vapors from the plastic just seemed to smear around. I took a #000 steel wool pad and lightly rubbed the inside of the windshield, and all streaks and other stuff vanished. Yes, I've used steel wool on the outside of windows, but never on the inside. Try it...you may like it!

I don't understand "the vapors from the plastic..." what are you doing in the car that turns plastic into vapors?

"tarafied1" said:
I don't understand "the vapors from the plastic..." what are you doing in the car that turns plastic into vapors?

Is it like when my dog turns his dog food into vapors???

"tarafied1" said:

He meant vapors from his pants........

When you buy a new car, the plastics in the car exude vapors that cling to the inside of the windshield. It typically lasts 2-3 years before it stops. It's a slow process, but by every 2-3 months, there's a nice film on the inside. It's worse during the summer time.

Maybe you turkeys haven't bought a new car yet?

Now vacuum all the little steel wool fibers from inside the car......

I have done that for years.....just as a routine on a major cleaning.

Did you ever think it could be your smoking haze.....

I use dawn dish soap with a bit of ammonia and water with a scrub brush for the outside and an old pool towel from the motels I stayed at during my tenure as a bus driver. Once the towel is very damp you can clean the inside of the windows.

The other think that works well is a terry cloth rag and this stuff I got from a janitorial supply called sparkle chandelier cleaner.

I never use abrasive paper on any glass and never use windex! For regular window cleaner I use a microfiber towel and in the bottle I use a couple tablespoons of white vinegar and a teaspoon of dawn and fill the bottle with water. I use the Home depot brand squirt bottles.

Once again if you want super clear glass, never ever use anything abrasive on it. Including paper. All paper is somewhat abrasive since it is a wood product and there are wood fibers in it.

I spent many many hours getting huge bus windows crystal clear.

Mel

"Midlife" said:
When you buy a new car, the plastics in the car exude vapors that cling to the inside of the windshield. It typically lasts 2-3 years before it stops. It's a slow process, but by every 2-3 months, there's a nice film on the inside. It's worse during the summer time.

So let's see if I got this right, the easiest way to avoid exuding vapors is to borrow a new car during the first 2 -3 years of its life and if you do then you only borrow it for less than 2-3 months, and only during the winter months? This seems like a lot of work, are you retired, by any chance?? :sm_NTA

"Midlife" said:

The "vapors" are actually the volatile organic compounds being emitting from the plastics and all of the adhesives used in the interior -- aka that new car smell. You really don't want to know what the actual voc's are...there are some not so nice chemicals that are used in the plastics, adhesives, vinyl, etc...

The vapors from plastics are what occur from the plastic breaking down from a chemical reaction with "other substances". This is a good demonstration of exactly what happens in Depends when they're not changed on a regular basis. The plastic outer liner reacts with the urea and other "substances". Those vapors then travel up and collect on the interior surface of the windshield.

Personally I applaud Randy for publicly sharing this and how to deal with the effects! :thu :roll

So, now that we know how that's taken care of, what do you do about the odor? :confu

Who says science and elder care can't be fun?! :shrug

The only vapors I'm constantly dealing with in my car are from a direct result of what I ate the previous night and how such vapors adhere to the interior. :bowdown

Craig, here's a solution to your problem. They have these things on cars now days called windows, and when you gas out as you have described, you roll them down. So, instead of locking them vapors in overnight, you pollute the California air with them. I suggest rolling the windows down while you are still moving to get maximum airflow! You'd better hurry though as I'm sure your legislative branch is either working on Hefty fines or taxation repercussions of some sort!

Back