• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A kind of "what I've been up to and will be up to for a while" build thread...

Back in the day, long before CNC punch presses, Lasers, Water Jets, and 3D Printers existed, I worked in the engineering department of the appliance maker Thermador. The model makers would form metal into all the various shapes we needed by hand. So I've seen these skills but not for a long time, and I've never seen anything on this scale done in a home garage. It's very impressive and YES you have major skills, but I'm curious where you acquired them? We can see in the pictures that you make wooden forms to bend the metal over, use a multitude of clamps and vice grips, and there is a mig welder in the background. You must have a hammer and dolly set, but what other neat stuff do you use? I'm really impressed and love to see how this sort of work is done. Please keep the posts coming- this is art.

Back in the day, long before CNC punch presses, Lasers, Water Jets, and 3D Printers existed, I worked in the engineering department of the appliance maker Thermador. The model makers would form metal into all the various shapes we needed by hand. So I've seen these skills but not for a long time, and I've never seen anything on this scale done in a home garage. It's very impressive and YES you have major skills, but I'm curious where you acquired them? We can see in the pictures that you make wooden forms to bend the metal over, use a multitude of clamps and vice grips, and there is a mig welder in the background. You must have a hammer and dolly set, but what other neat stuff do you use? I'm really impressed and love to see how this sort of work is done. Please keep the posts coming- this is art.

Thanks; and you must be fairly new here, and missed my ratrod build post - I think it went away when Sluggo updated servers, or whatever he did. When I get more time I will provide a better reply to you enquiries.

Thanks; and you must be fairly new here, and missed my ratrod build post - I think it went away when Sluggo updated servers, or whatever he did. When I get more time I will provide a better reply to you enquiries.
Guilty as charged- I'm a newbie and looking forward to more posts

So I started on boxing in the frame rails yesterday. This is going to take a while. Lots of trial and error fittings.

The frame rail lips are pretty wave, as evident in the pictures. So I had to use the torch to heat and persuade the lip with a hammer & dolly to smooth them out.

image-jpeg.3050949

image-jpeg.3050950

image-jpeg.3050951

After a little welding and metal finishing...

image-jpeg.3050952

image-jpeg.3050953

image-jpeg.3050956

image-jpeg.3050958

Lots to do yet!

Looking good J, looks like you have some future builds waiting in the wings. So the family doesn't fit in the family truckster anymore? So I guess you and Bonnie have added to the family during your hiatis?

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

skills and patiences !!!

:cool:

Back