• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A little time invested usually pays off

My Uncle who has a 38' Holiday Rambler RV with a Cummins 400 Pusher, had contacted me if I could help him with an issue with the rear view camera.
This afternoon, I visited him and he had explained the problem to me. The camera display on the center console for the rear camera would go black after ~20 minutes of operation/driving.

When I arrived, he had removed the screws holding the console trim panel. He had ordered a replacement display unit and also had the RV checked out by a Holiday Rambler service center. They had duplicated the problem, but did not have any idea of how to proceed (read $ to continue). He passed and called me.

I reviewed the rats nest of wiring behind that console and was amazed of the chaotic mess of wires.

I looked at the replacement unit and the connections were all different, so installing that would required much effort.

I told my Uncle let me look at things a bit. After about 20 minutes, I discovered that there was a cable connection with a threaded collar to secure it was not completely tight. I tightened it up and it was working fine (as it appeared to do previously upon startup). We took it for a 25 minute ride and it worked perfectly.

Since I tackled that, he asked me if I could help him as the Garmin GPS control was not working. He could not do anything with it as the only way to manage the GPS display was via a remote control.
The remote was managed via a tiny 'joystick' to go through the menus. I thought it might have gotten gummed up, so, after disassembling the remote, I removed the circuit board and sprayed it down with contact cleaner and them cycled the joystick through its motions.
"I put a fresh set of batteries in it, reassembled it and it worked perfectly.
My Uncle was astonished that I did all this in 2 hours and was grateful.

Sometimes it is the simple stuff that is the key to inoperation of equipment.

(My Uncle is preparing to sell this and I told him that I would be interested in buying it from him, and I think I got some brownie points in the effort applied today)

In troubleshooting electronics I always start with the basics first. Does it have power? Check connections and reboot. Most of the time the camera did die of old age. But there are those times when I do have to figure what is wrong. So in your case connections.

fd

Having a very similar rig, I can tell you that these things are a continuous maintenance nightmare. I am constantly chasing wiring bugs, plumbing problems, etc. I love my Holiday Rambler, but they are just not that well put together. If you are not mechanically inclined, you would spend a fortune fixing things. Good for your uncle that he has you Steve!

Having a very similar rig, I can tell you that these things are a continuous maintenance nightmare. I am constantly chasing wiring bugs, plumbing problems, etc. I love my Holiday Rambler, but they are just not that well put together. If you are not mechanically inclined, you would spend a fortune fixing things. Good for your uncle that he has you Steve!
Copy

Back