• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A Long Overdue Progress Report (I'm Still Alive)

sosADAMsos

I've been putting off this post for a long time (years...). Partly out of sheer laziness, but also partially out of embarrassment.

History: I was a young kid, with a great '66 coupe that I loved...
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae328/sosADAMsos/1966%20Mustang%20Coupe/

but I needed more... plus, I was single and had all the time in the world to start a new project. So I did. Sure enough, I started dating my current girlfriend only one month later. Soon after I moved with her to San Francisco for 4 years (where I partied with Craig). Nearly 5 years since, I've been back in Orange County for almost two years and am still making progress (slowly).

I bought my 1965 Fastback from Stevea, a member of the VMF: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/membe ... html :char

It was sold to me as nearly finished. "It comes with everything besides an engine"... "Just drop in a motor and your good to go". I was so young and desperate to get my hands on a fastback, I bought it... sight unseen.

Yeah, it was dumb. No, I would never do it again. But I was 18 at the time... In retrospect, I wouldn't have been able to see everything wrong with it even if I had seen it in person. This car was well covered up. Bondo'd and painted. If it had an engine, it surely wouldv'e had sawdust in it.

Anyways, here she is:
IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

It's been nothing but problems since.

First, both the driver and passenger floors were replaced, but not in a way that would ever be safe to drive. It was tacked in, and covered with seam sealer. Not even welded to the frame rails. I wish I was kidding.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

At the time I bought it, I not only couldn't weld, but did not own a welder. Well, I knew that was about to change... So I jumped in on the floors. I started by cutting threw the overlap, so that I could butt weld the two together, for a better finish.

IMG_0026.jpg

Some of my first welds. Ugly, I know. BUT, eventually I got the hang of it (as you'll see later in this monster post).

IMG_0065.jpg

Ground down. Eventually covered with seam sealer and painted. I don't have photos of the finished floors, but I'll update soon with them.

IMG_0098.jpg

Then we have the rusted through rear torque box, covered over with bondo (photos taken after wirebrushing all bondo away).

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

This was my first major panel replacement. Done in an unconventional way, I'm sure... but it worked:

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Additional rusted panel in the rear floor, which was also replaced:

IMG_0028.jpg

Moving on, we have the bondo'd holes in the firewall.

http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae32 ... G_0030.jpg

More rust where the pender apron meets the firewall (bondo'd of course...)
IMG_0081-1.jpg

IMG_0096-1.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

From inside:
IMG_0090-1.jpg

Replacements:
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202-1.jpg

The drivers side front frame rail was rusted out. The packed it with newspaper and covered it with bondo. Yes, THEY PACKED THE FRAME RAIL WITH NEWSPAPER AND COVERED IT WITH BONDO.

PhotoOct3044452PM.jpg

Outside, patched up. I decided to weld in the interior bumper bolts:
PhotoNov0312136PM.jpg

Inside, patched up:
PhotoNov0312145PM.jpg

Now, what I'm currently working on... replacing the driver's side rear inner wheel well, with the outer wheel well and fender install (A challenge... I know.)

It was previously replaced...incorrectly. And there was a large gap between the outer and inner wheel well, which was bondo'd over:

PhotoJan0810120PM.jpg

PhotoJan08125540PM.jpg

PhotoJan0823312PM.jpg

PhotoJan0824714PM.jpg

Test fitment of the new interior wheel well showed I still had a large gap, and the outer well had to be pushed forward:
PhotoFeb0515751PM.jpg

PhotoFeb0515819PM.jpg

So, I pushed it forward :)
PhotoMar04120005PM.jpg

A much better fit:
PhotoMar0444019PM.jpg

PhotoMar0444024PM.jpg

PhotoMar0444038PM.jpg

PhotoMar0444011PM.jpg

PhotoMar0444006PM.jpg

And I still have a TON to do. Every time I fix something, I realize that 3 more things need to be fixed. As an example, nearly every weld is wrong on this car. Every panel is tacked, instead of plugged (and some of the welds are just plain UGLY):

IMG_0032.jpg

PhotoOct0212341PM.jpg

PhotoJan08125605PM.jpg

So that, more or less, is where I'm at. I just keep my focus on someday being able to shift those gears, hear that roar, and be pushed back into my seat again. And on the bright side, I can weld now :roul

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep reminding this : take it step by step.
Eventually it will come out great and you have a nice 66 fastback !!! Not everybody can say this.
And yes , at the end your welding skills will improve alot.
Maybe there is some money to earn in the future so you can finance the interior or something else on the fastback.Who knows.
Keep up the good work and find a good balance between your girlfriend and the car regarding attention :hide

Welcome back Adam. Wow some first post back. Was this a California Mustang?

fd

Adam,
And here I was wondering why the crime rate in San Francisco has been down for the past two years. You haven't been here! I am very proud of you for taking on such a project. Don't worry, your welding will get better. What brand welder? Voltage? What size wire are you feeding? Keep you gun tip clean of build up.

And yes I would have been very pissed if you had taken on such a project while be up in NorCal and not called me.

Welcome back to the fix and don't be a stranger.

Looks like you're making some nice progress.

Yours is a perfect example of why I always tell people to spend the cash and have their projects media blasted to see what may be hiding under all that paint and primer. Glad you are taking the time to find those problems and fixing them correctly. In the end it will be worth all the extra time and money.

"B67FSTB" said:
Keep reminding this : take it step by step.
Eventually it will come out great and you have a nice 66 fastback !!! Not everybody can say this.
And yes , at the end your welding skills will improve alot.
Maybe there is some money to earn in the future so you can finance the interior or something else on the fastback.Who knows.
Keep up the good work and find a good balance between your girlfriend and the car regarding attention :hide
Thanks. I'm hoping that I still end up with a '65 Fastback in the end though ;)

"FordDude" said:
Welcome back Adam. Wow some first post back. Was this a California Mustang?

Thanks. The car was shipped to me from Oregon. It was manufactured in Michigan. Not sure about the 40 years in between though.

"cmayna" said:
Adam,
And here I was wondering why the crime rate in San Francisco has been down for the past two years. You haven't been here! I am very proud of you for taking on such a project. Don't worry, your welding will get better. What brand welder? Voltage? What size wire are you feeding? Keep you gun tip clean of build up.
And yes I would have been very pissed if you had taken on such a project while be up in NorCal and not called me.
Welcome back to the fix and don't be a stranger.

Thanks, Craig. I'm actually fairly confident in my welding abilities now (It's been over a year since I started). But learning by yourself can be tough. All I had to do was experiment to determine the correct heat level, wire speed, gas level, and get a solid ground. I believe my first welds on the floor were done at too low of a heat level, with too much wire.

I'm using a Lincoln 140. I'll have to post newer photos of my recent welds.

"Horseplay" said:
Looks like you're making some nice progress.
Yours is a perfect example of why I always tell people to spend the cash and have their projects media blasted to see what may be hiding under all that paint and primer. Glad you are taking the time to find those problems and fixing them correctly. In the end it will be worth all the extra time and money.

If I had the budget, I definitely would've had it blasted. By the time I'm done, most of this car will have been wire-wheeled.

Nope. I sold the coupe when I moved back down. A friend, who owns a classic car shop, sold it to a German collector. I'd like to think she's roaming the autobahn now.

I'm sure she is. I have a Harbor freight spot welder if you need one. Just let me know.

Post makes me want to go start changing out the suspension on mine right now if you ever need some extra hands let me know

Didn't you buy the champagne mustang from board ford?

"pnandy" said:
Post makes me want to go start changing out the suspension on mine right now if you ever need some extra hands let me know

Didn't you buy the champagne mustang from board ford?

Wait a minute. Patrick Nandy? La Serna 2005?

Ha ya man that's me I'm still in Whittier I can remember you sitting in class after you got the mustang flipping through catalogs looking for more stuff to buy

Why don't you two just go and get a room :beer

Patrick, just trailer your car up here and I'll swap out your suspension for you.

I have a faint recollection of Patrick being on here, and possibly having a red 68' coupe?

After living in San Francisco, my memory aint what it used to be (if ya know what I mean).

Back