• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A very steady 180 temp

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Red's temp use to fluctuate towards 190 back when I was using 50/50 water/coolant. Now that I switched over to 75/25 (distilled water / coolant) + a bottle of water wetter, the temp hovers around 180-182.

On a side note, the GTO ran 195-200 when I first drove it. Found it was running with a 160 stat. Replaced it with a 180 after I stove top tested it and used the same 75/25 formula. Now it also runs 180-182 on a warm day.

Yes, other factors have a direct affect on keeping the engine cool such as having a shroud, flushed engine block and radiator as well as a good running pump. Another item to watch out for is your lower hose collapsing due to not having a coil inside.

Just a little food for thought for those of you having overheating issues.

What do you recommend for overheating when I'm seeing college co-eds?

"Midlife" said:

Craig naked should do it...back on subject. IMHO people that put in 160 degree t stats are masking a more serious problem. If the engine is getting hot then find out the problem. This isnt directed at Craig, just a general statement

A colder t-stat isn't going to mask any cooling problem, it's just going to increase the time it takes for the engine to reach operating temp.

Cmayna, now that you know your cooling system works well, you really should put a 195* t-stat in there. 180 is cold for a sbf. You're getting a fair amount of quench in the combustion chamber at that temp, and you're likely not vaporizing fuel in the intake properly either. For proper combustion efficiency, you want the engine to run as hot as possible without causing damage or creating detonation issues. Running the engine too cold will result in increased carbon buildup in the intake and combustion chambers, as well as reduced combustion efficiency (mileage/power).

195 is the common temp, and yes, I would recommend that. I'd actually recommend a Mr Gasket or Robert Shaw high-flow style 195*. They're built to more exact standards than most cheapo units, and they'll flow better to make sure your engine stays cool.

"Starfury" said:
A colder t-stat isn't going to mask any cooling problem, it's just going to increase the time it takes for the engine to reach operating temp.

Cmayna, now that you know your cooling system works well, you really should put a 195* t-stat in there. 180 is cold for a sbf. You're getting a fair amount of quench in the combustion chamber at that temp, and you're likely not vaporizing fuel in the intake properly either. For proper combustion efficiency, you want the engine to run as hot as possible without causing damage or creating detonation issues. Running the engine too cold will result in increased carbon buildup in the intake and combustion chambers, as well as reduced combustion efficiency (mileage/power).

Actually I have had a ton of customers try and mask a different problem with a cold stat...but I am a self acknowledged dumbshit so what do I know? If you google you will find that a ton of people running cooler t stats to supposedly solve their heating problems. I made a general statement stating my opinion. I know how thermostats work so save your breath next time. ~bd ~bd ~bd I am getting grouchy so it must be time for bed. Later

"napaguy" said:
"Midlife" said:

Craig naked should do it...back on subject. IMHO people that put in 160 degree t stats are masking a more serious problem. If the engine is getting hot then find out the problem. This isnt directed at Craig, just a general statement

Come on Pat, elaborate more.

My point was that they're not going to mask anything. Whether or not people TRY to mask problems with them is a different story:p

"Starfury" said:
My point was that they're not going to mask anything. Whether or not people TRY to mask problems with them is a different story:p

Point taken and I agree with you

I live in FL and this was my first summer with a '65 coupe with a 302 no fan shroud and no air. When I installed a new intake I put in a 190 and had no problems. At speed 180-185 and at idle around 210 even with sitting a bit. Of course I live out quite a bit so I do not sit around a lot but that is my two cents worth

The 160 thermostats controls the temperature at which the tstat opens and often will have little bearing on the engine operating temperature. I have always thought of t-stat temp rating as the "minimum engine temp".

X2 on the Robert Shaw balanced themostats. They are a more unique design and are supposed to respond more quickly to temp changes and operate better and are less influenced by pump pressure from the engine side of stat. They are quite a bit more expensive than your garden-variety tstat though.

thermodiag.gif

Back