• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AC cobra build vs corvette vert

copasspupil

Donator
which one would you choose? Why??

Both projects, verts, and when done look great imho. Obviously the cobra is a kit car. I got in a discussion which a fellow gear head on it. Curious what the group would do

Cobra without a doubt. It is high on my lists for my next build. Plus I can make it the way I want it. Corvette guys are purists and look down on modifications.

Vette...If you think Vette guys look down on non-stock Vettes (a lot are highly modified), imagine what real Cobra guys feel about fake Cobras.:eek:

Of course there are WAY fewer real Cobras and thus Cobra snobs who would say anything. But when I see a kit Cobra with some 5.0 and a Mustang II clip in the front I just cringe.

Restore the real car (non-kit)...the Vette.

Vette...If you think Vette guys look down on non-stock Vettes (a lot are highly modified), imagine what real Cobra guys feel about fake Cobras.:eek:

Of course there are WAY fewer real Cobras and thus Cobra snobs who would say anything. But when I see a kit Cobra with some 5.0 and a Mustang II clip in the front I just cringe.

Restore the real car (non-kit)...the Vette.

I guess that is what makes this hobby work so well. Some prefer to Restore....others prefer to Restomod. I can appreciate both sides, but would choose to build it my way everytime. I think you and Jeff have amazing cars, just not the way I would choose to build them.

And I agree on the Cobra thing....but I have yet to meet a "real" Cobra owner.

It depends on the year of the vette. The cobras are cool, but not my thing.

So I would do the vette

I have been fortunate enough through the years to personally see several real deal Cobras and a bunch of kit cars. The last kit car I saw (and got an in depth tour of by the owner just a few years back), was a 427 powered S/C replica. The guy told me he'd always wanted one since he was little but knew he could never afford a real one. To cure his desire and keep his wallet "reasonably" happy, he built an exact replica starting with a Superformance chassis and body. You would have been hard pressed to tell it WASN'T a real one! He even located a correct 427 cross bolt to power it.

I've also seen a TON of 'vettes including rare prototypes and one offs (having been to some of their nationals) when younger and working for a shop that built street rods and restored 'vettes. Fortunately I most stuff I worked on were the street rods and very few 'vettes.

There are several 'vettes I'd love to have (yes, a died in the wool blue oval guy said that!). I think a '57 fuelie is cool as all hell, though my favorite if I could only have one would be a 1958 (fuelie or not, doesn't matter). If it came down to choosing BETWEEN a Cobra kit car and a 'vette though...Cobra kit car, hands down. Much, MUCH sexier lines and even if built as an exact replica IMHO it'd still smoke a similar era 'vette.

One thing not mentioned either; was once you had it you need to maintain it. Ever try to change a clutch in an earlier 'vette. Take my word, avoid at all costs and pay someone else to do it (unfortunately I was the guy that got paid!). Ever change plugs on a '71 454 'vette? Hope you got REALLY skinny arms, otherwise you can give up on several plugs on the passenger side. Ever ridden a long distance in an early straight axle 'vette. If not and don't know anyone that could give you that opportunity, try to substitute it with a ride in a buckboard down a dirt road. The negative side to that is the buckboard rides slightly better so you won't get the exact experience!

The vette is a big block project and the cobra is a kit car,but I do love this thread as it was how it went at the station the other day

If it was a 62, or 69 vette, the vette wins.

Any other the snake for sure!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

depending on the year vette, I would go Cobra. Did anyone see the Rousch Cobra that sold this weekend in AZ? 78k of sexy

Have had a vette.I can appreciate it but not my thing.
A FFR cobra mk IV with a 427cid , 6 speed manu and in the rear a truetrac , thats my dreamcar.

This is a loaded question.
There is no loser here.

Are you planning on keeping both indefinitely?
Is there a budget?
Are there time or space constraints?
Do either of them have a special place in your heart? (inherited through family, high school graduation present?)
Do you have more parts for one or the other?
Has one been a longer term project than another?
If there is a significant other in your life, would one make them more or less happy?
How's the weather where you live?
Does the Cobra have a top?

Back