• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Adjusting my rear bumper...

MD69Boss

Suspected Troll
Trying to get my rear bumper adjusted to my liking in anticipation of the pilgrimage to Knott's next month. I have been trying different shim combinations, and no combo is getting the bumper at tight to the body as I would like, anybody have success with this?

Stock installation with OEM bumper
f4045073-0432-47fa-9033-3914889a08cd_zpsxgxcyqzt.jpg

Shimmed on the top bumper bolts
IMG_1696_zps6pngz7sv.jpg

Shimmed on the bottom bumper bolts
IMG_1700_zpsgyhnn5hw.jpg

Maybe I am a bit of a perfectionist, but I am still not super happy with the fit. I am thinking of ordering a repop set of bumper brackets and grinding on them a bit...
Any feedback is appreciated...

Last picture isn't bad at all , considering the standarts those days by Ford.
Because of the shape of the bumper itself , you can't get it any better.
Nor by using shims or different brackets.
Modifying the bumper by itself , will give you more satisfaction I guess.
Give Foose a call of what to do.;)

I have ordered a set of bumper brackets from NPD that I am going to cut and grind on a bit to see if I can get the bumper a bit tighter....
Its a $45 dollar experiment, and will keep me in the garage this weekend, = happy wife!

The rear bumper on my 65 fits like crap. It is a NOS bumper, but the brackets are aftermarket. I keep thinking I need to pull it and cut and reweld the brackets to make it fit closer to the body and more parallel than it does. Keep us informed of your progress and take some pictures of your modifications.

This thread has me thinking. It happens occasionally.:) Just received my rear bumper. Ordered from CJs as their latest sale price was too good to pass up. Saved like $75 over NPD. Hope I didn't screw up. I'm not normally a price shopper. Bumper looks good. Chrome seems of good quality. Still waiting on the front. Plan to lay the new out against the old ones I have and see how the measure up dimensionally.
I have my original bumper brackets that I intend to use but I wonder if I should buy a set of repops in case I want to hack things up a bit for a better fit. Just about to put an order into NPD for what should be the last purchase from them for this project. Figure it would be nice to have the originals against which to compare the modifications as they are made. Hmmmm.....it's only money, right.

I was never happy with the fit of the repop bumpers I had for awhile on my Boss. I ended up purchasing a pair of OEM bumpers and had them rechromed a couple/ three years ago, and was so much happier with the chrome and fit.
I am always looking to improve things when I don't have an active issue I am running down, hence the bumper interest... I am looking to do just as kb3 says cut and reweld and/or enlongate the mounting holes to 'move' the bumper closer in the brackets...
I will post photos with progress....

Back