• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Advise please...gas or electric

Teebone

We need to buy a new washer and dryer for
the house in North Carolina

laundry room has hook up for both: gas & electric.

I've heard that gas dryer is more expensive upfront...but
more efficient in the long run.

Just the two of us so usage would be about once a week
and max of two loads [per week "on average")

Also...any imput on top loader or front loader would help to know

We've pretty much decided on Energy Star and hope for some
kind of rebate (if available).

Any imput would be helpful
Uncle Vinny

lethal289

Gas dryer is the way to go... Even the clothes smell fresher when they are done. And its faster to boot. We made the switch about 2 years ago and can't be happier about it.

Never had a gas dryer, no input on that one. Have a front load washer, best appliance money I've ever spent. Easier on the clothes, uses less water, does bigger loads.

apollard

The wife prefers gas - dries clothes faster, and she says they are more like line dried. She has electric now, and doesn't like it.

Switching from electric to gas is on the honey do list.

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Vinny,
You shouldn't need to use either. With your vast income, simply wear the clothes once and throw them away; you can afford it, right?

Bite Me

Switched over to gas appliances 20+ years ago very happy with the choice.
Heck since we have so much more gas in this country it even makes the Al
Gore's of the world happy. :dh

Second thought on front loader also I have three Set's on our property one for
home two for business and there very good as well. But spend the couple hundred
for the pedestals at your age and mine makes life easier.

blue65coupe

Check out the front load Samsungs. They have a drum that contains weight to offset any vibration. Kinda like the old trick of sand in a tire for balancing. Check with the wife on the pedestal thing. We went without it and stacked ours. Wife loves it. Never had gas but if you're only using them minimally, how long is it gonna take to offset the cost?

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
My good Uncle,

We have the front loaders from Sears for the two of us and they are easy on the clothes and use less water and way less soap. We have the gas dryer and it is much more efficient and cheaper for us to operate.

Dryers must have excellent air circulation in order to work correctly. So, if you can get your vent hose as straight as possible you will get clothes dry faster using less energy no matter what you get.

Gas is way cheaper to operate.

We used to use a large Costco size box of Tide every three months, then we got the new front loader and now we use one box every year and a half. you only use 3 tablespoons of soap per load.

HTH,

Mel

Teebone

"Midlife" said:
Vinny,
You shouldn't need to use either. With your vast income, simply wear the clothes once and throw them away; you can afford it, right?

Right my vast income..like they say I have piles and I am sitting on them..

daveSanborn

LP gas or Natural Gas?

We have LP gas. When we bought our house a gallon of LP was ~ $1.39. Now we're paying $2.79. WTF?

Natural Gas, if it's available in your area would be my #1 choice.