• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

After 13 years...

openheaders

It RUNS!!! :vic

I fired up my 351W for the first time yesterday afternoon. I had the car towed to my place last fall, and got to work on it in April. I've since spent most of my weekends and a good portion of weeknights to get to this point. What I expected to happen over Memorial Day weekend ended up as Labor Day weekend. I ran into some hiccups which are to be expected, and a had good dose of 'while I'm at it'.

I hope to be able to take it for a spin sometime in the next week. :ecit I need to get my brakes sorted out, adjust the toe-in, and tune my carb and timing settings.

Tried to get it on video, but after my initial attempts to start it failed (timing was 180 off), I quit caring about the video and focused on the task at hand. I did snap a picture while it was in the drive though.

Running!.jpg

Great news and looking good. You still a couple of months of driving weather before you'll have to put it away again for the winter.

WTG Damian!!! It's a great feeling when it lights off.

Great news friend, I also just (in the past 3 months) started up my 67 after 20 years in storage. Also did all the work my self and di a good bit of the " well while I am in here". I KNOW HOW YOU ARE FEELING! it is a great feeling, enjoy and keep us posted. :10

Thanks for the nice words. I finally roughed in the alignment and took it for a quick spin. :coo More to do before it's truly road worthy, but coming along for sure.

I like the exhaust because it was cheap and I was able to put it on myself. I had to have a couple pipes bent to reach the shorty headers, but it worked out well. I used some flex pipe to mock up the shape needed. I think between minimal ground clearance and the rawness of it, it'll get old. But it fits the car for now.

I went through and replaced the suspension before the car was stored, stock stuff. The open 8" was also pretty fresh with a 3.40 ratio. The c4 was a recent rebuilt with an RV shift kit. And this spring I switched out the power steering for manual with a quick steer kit. Added a 1" front sway bar and export brace. I have a monte carlo bar too, but with that in place, I cannot remove my oil filler cap.

Here's a couple of pictures. As I said my distributor was off 180, so pardon the spaghetti.

First%20Fire%20019.jpg

Interior%20002.jpg

I like them valve covers. Mine are just barely clearing the rockers by removing the vent baffle and using a thicker gasket.

"openheaders" said:
I have a monte carlo bar too, but with that in place, I cannot remove my oil filler cap.

Buy one of the bent ones (assuming you have a straight one)...

I had the curved bar because my straight bar won't clear the distributor. I'll have to look into the K&N cap. My other options are a removeable monte carlo bar, or maybe shorten the oil filler tube to allow enough clearance to pull the cap.

Doesn't matter much because with the baffle on the valve covers, oil doesn't want to flow through the opening. It just takes forever to fill the oil. I've been cheating and using the vacant distributor hole, but now that the distributor is in right... well I don't want to battle with that thing any more.

Back