• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aluminum radiators.......

Well, I found out this weekend that the aluminum radiator I purchased through Mustang unlimited does not use the stock upper and lower brackets to mount it, the radiator, only a 2 core, is to wide for the brackets......So, do I return (they told me it did use the brackets and I ordered them at the same time) or try and fab up another way of mounting the radiator? Is there a drop in aluminum rad that uses the stock brackets? My original for the 289 and then 302 was a bolt in, I had the side cover pieces powder coated when I had a bunch of other stuff done, so I could always go back to bolt in. What did all you guys use?

For my sons '68, we used this Griffin AL radiator bought through NPD.

67 390, 428, 24�, T-RH, B-LH.....................8005-11A 679.95

It fit nicely into the lower mounts, but IIRC the upper saddle mount didn't fit quite right. It fit "okay" into the upper saddle, but not perfect. Here's a picture of it installed....

000_0331.jpg

A little blurry, but here's the radiator after the fans were installed....

100_0902.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too had the same problem with a different vendor. The radiator was at least 2" wider than the original. That was fine since I fabbed up a mount for the top holes. The bottom fit right into the rubber saddles. I took some aluminum flat stock that I purchased from Lowes and mounted that to the original holes on the radiator core support. I then just simply drilled new holes in the flat stock where the holes for the radiator were. It looks good and I have a bigger radiator for better cooling.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Back