• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Animal farm

RustyRed

I hadn't seen the possum that likes to eat our outside cats food in a while so I thought maybe he had died or something....wrong.

Last night I was coming home from the dojo about 8:15 p.m. and there was a raccoon eating the cat food. I think, "Ok, that's new. He looks pretty young will have to warn the boys to make certain not to corner him since those buggers can be pretty mean."

Later, I went out to move the wife's car into the garage. As I came back around the corner there was a skunk eating what was left of the cat food and a possum hanging out near by like he was considering challenging the skunk.

I must live on a freaking animal farm or something.

The possum doesn't bother me too much, the raccoon doesn't concern me as long as he stays out of my attic but the skunk has gotta go.

Anybody have any better ideas than a 12 gauge to get rid of him?

A .22? Better yet, a 7.62x54R.

Let me know if you wanna borrow my Dragunov. :-D

p62004600yj.jpg

Whatever you do, make sure you get it far away from anything you wish to keep or ever use again. You shoot a skunk and you'll let loose the most nasty, toxic smell that will be there for days if not weeks!

Years ago, I popped one with a .22 and the damn thing ran up under my daily driver (Aspire) and sprayed it good as it died. Deb would not get near that car for a month.

I like Waffles idea :toot

Anybody have any better ideas than a 12 gauge to get rid of him?

There's always an opportunity when there's a skunk involved....

Does your wife have a GF that really gets on your nerves?

Mother-in-law been to visit in a while?

The possibilities are almost endless.

Like you, we used to have critters every night on our back deck feeding on the remnants of our cats food. The cat would just sit there and watch while possums, coons and the occasional skunk would all line up to get some free chow.

This all ended when we got a dog. The wildlife has officially retreated back to the woods. I kind of miss the "at home nature show" as you never knew what was going to show up each night. Possums are downright ugly looking, but I enjoyed watching the raccoons, especially when the momma had a couple youngsters with her. I used to see deer all of the time in the backyard and once saw a bobcat, which is pretty rare around here. I was walking across the footbridge going from our house to my garage one morning and a whooping crane was in the stream below me. MF'er about gave me a heart attack when he flew off right under my feet.

Get an outside dog and all of your "nature" problems will go away.

If you shoot it with anything serious, 7.62x54R, 30.06, 30cal, etc etc, it will probably just EXPLODE. I shot a raccoon with my Dragunov and the goddamn thing practically disappeared.

No, the snake was small potatoes compared to a freakin' pterodactyl sized creature taking flight beneath the footbridge.

I hear ya Dave. Similar thing happened to me, only but with damn turkeys, on a lower bluff, next to me in the woods.

I think I actually shat myself a little.

"daveSanborn" said:
There's always an opportunity when there's a skunk involved....

Does your wife have a GF that really gets on your nerves?

Mother-in-law been to visit in a while?

Now that you mention it one of the wife's GF's does totally get on my nerves. She is apparently very unhappy in her marriage and has no one to talk to at home. When she comes over she will talk your ear off half the night if you let her. We usually finally manage to run her off after the boys have missed their bed time by an hour or more....

I have been wanting a "real dog" for outside but have been putting it off. We already have an indoor cat, an outdoor cat, my wife's sorry fluff ball excuse for a dog (a Pomeranian) and three hermit crabs. The "dog" and the indoor cat were her's before we got married. We have been married 11 years today so they are getting older. The outside cat is one an old neighbor left behind so we felt sorry for her and took her in. The hermit crabs are the boys' "pets" and don't really need much care. Basically, I already have more vet bill then I care for so I have been putting off getting another living creature to deal with.

Hummm...maybe I should use a .22 on the fluff ball "dog" and then I could get a real dog for the back yard, LOL!

"RustyRed" said:
Now that you mention it one of the wife's GF's does totally get on my nerves. She is apparently very unhappy in her marriage and has no one to talk to at home. When she comes over she will talk your ear off half the night if you let her.

Got any pictures, this may be a problem I can help you with.....

"RustyRed" said:
Now that you mention it one of the wife's GF's does totally get on my nerves. She is apparently very unhappy in her marriage and has no one to talk to at home. When she comes over she will talk your ear off half the night if you let her. We usually finally manage to run her off after the boys have missed their bed time by an hour or more....

I have been wanting a "real dog" for outside but have been putting it off. We already have an indoor cat, an outdoor cat, my wife's sorry fluff ball excuse for a dog (a Pomeranian) and three hermit crabs. The "dog" and the indoor cat were her's before we got married. We have been married 11 years today so they are getting older. The outside cat is one an old neighbor left behind so we felt sorry for her and took her in. The hermit crabs are the boys' "pets" and don't really need much care. Basically, I already have more vet bill then I care for so I have been putting off getting another living creature to deal with.

Hummm...maybe I should use a .22 on the fluff ball "dog" and then I could get a real dog for the back yard, LOL!

My In Laws have a Pomeranian. Let me tell you from personal experience, a .22 does NOTHING to these little holy terrors.

As far as the skunk removal, I have always used an appropriate size have-a-hart trap with a slice of bread and raw egg for bait. I tie a 20 foot rope to the bottom end of the trap. Once caught, you use the rope to move the trap, staying out of the sprays area. If the tail does not lift, they cannot spray, thus the correct size trap is important. I would then drag the trap into a small trailer, then we drove to the other side of town and released it. It was funny to watch how people react to the skunk in the trailer. Used a long pipe to open the trap. My Dad would slip in to the trap and spray paint the skunk with yellow paint just in case it returned. Second trip was half way across the river......

Shooting may cause a natural release of the "perfume".

Looks like you already got some sound advice, The traps the easiest way to do it around here, and you could always have a garbage can full of water to go with it. Im not sure how good the "perfume" would be under water.

"RustyRed" said:
We have been married 11 years today...
Congrats on the anniversary. What the hell are you doing on the computer. Go surprise her with a new dog or something.

"lethal289" said:
Congrats on the anniversary. What the hell are you doing on the computer. Go surprise her with a new dog or something.

:rofl

We're both working today. Going out to diner tomorrow night while the sitter watches our two boys.

Back