• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another setback, rocker arm failure

Nope. It's 45 and snowing today.

The tour may be the first really hot weather it sees. May isn't all the warm up here either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Nope. It's 45 and snowing today.

The tour may be the first really hot weather it sees. May isn't all the warm up here either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
snowing! yuck. I do recall living in the Chicago area and it would go from cold in May to instant 90's in June!

well you have a small block in the engine compartment and "stock-ish" set-up. It should be okay. My 429 is a tight fit and everything is modified in some way. really not a good vehicle for sitting in traffic. I need to get vents in the hood and maybe better fans, etc. It has survived the tour traffic but always right on the edge. Once I get the 5 speed in it that will relieve a lot of heat. The rockers were just a bad choice for the cam and springs. I can fix that easily now that I found the problem. The carb is a weird issue but probably just a result of being an old Holley running a lot of E15 fuel thru it. I could throw the 750 on it and maybe be okay. New rockers and be okay. I might even throw a huge trans cooler on it and the trans would be okay. It did fine on the interstate to Atlanta and back. But then I will be stressed the whole time. If it were just me, I'd do it. But my son is going on his first long road trip with the Bobcat. And I will be watching out for you and Terry too (don't take that as you need to feel bad, I just want to be able to help if needed). I'd rather just drive the old truck with my tow strap in the bed. I can pull any of y'all out of an intersection or even rent a tow dolly and haul a car around. The truck could have it's share of problems too but it's a heck of a lot easier to work on in a parking lot or side of the road than the 67. It's still "cool" enough to enjoy on the tour and my wife can put a lot of stuff in it!

I recently viewed a video done by West Coast Classic Cougars: its video#4, Radiator and Fan Upgrade. It talks about 24" radiators, a big block 7 blade fan and clutch, and the shroud for use on a SBF.

I recently viewed a video done by West Coast Classic Cougars: its video#4, Radiator and Fan Upgrade. It talks about 24" radiators, a big block 7 blade fan and clutch, and the shroud for use on a SBF.
found the video and watched it. Thanks. I do have a 24" radiator and a fan shroud. Both for the 390/428 big block cars. I did look up there clutch for the fan on their website. It is overall 2.67" and I only have 1.5" from the front of the water pump/fan pulley to the rad. I think that clutch fan would be great but it won't fit! (the 1st pic below is an old pic before I put a shroud on it)
IMG_3061.JPG
IMG_7475.jpg

Back