• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another strange request: clear finish on aluminum

Here's the one I was looking for earlier. I think the cleaning process is the key to the adhesion of the clear (or paint for that matter) to bond. With painted aluminum, its not a big deal if the cleaner etches the bright aluminum leaving a dull finish (which is good thing) and that brings another potential solution. Why not etch and "paint" the diamond plate followed by a clear? The materials to do this would be much more readily available. Just a thought......

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF ... dno=T82C13

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Here's the one I was looking for earlier. I think the cleaning process is the key to the adhesion of the clear (or paint for that matter) to bond. With painted aluminum, its not a big deal if the cleaner etches the bright aluminum leaving a dull finish (which is good thing) and that brings another potential solution. Why not etch and "paint" the diamond plate followed by a clear? The materials to do this would be much more readily available. Just a thought......

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF ... dno=T82C13

I'll give S-W a call Friday.

"silverblueBP" said:
The architect specified (and has used previously) that the diamond plate have a clear, catalyzed lacquer finish applied.

Any legitimate ideas?

My idea is that he did do it previously and it turned out like crap, which is why he did not specify what materials were to be used in the process. So he is letting you engineer it for him. Let him know how you did it... for a price. :Mark

fd

I could see clearing it to preserve the finish as over time it could dull and oxidize.......but its diamond plate.

I would bet auto paint supply houses have a clear base/clear coat system you could DIY. Also, you could go crazy on them and clear powder coat. I have a set of polished valve covers I had done 4-5 years ago and they look as good as the day I picked them up. They wipe clean.

I'll second the usage of POR 15 Glisten PC. I clearcoat all my intake manifolds with it, it hold up against stains. It was originally used by OEM's to clearcoat wheels. Once it dries, it dries had and tough. Its a two part mix, 3:1 resin to hardener.

I work for an aluminum company. It's not my area of expertise but we chemically etch/wash the aluminum before coating and then it's baked on. Very durable but not practicable DIY. I do know the aluminum has to be really clean.

Back