• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any builders/contractors here? Question on blown in insulation

sigtauenus

I just blew in cellulose insulation on top of the fiberglass insulation in my attic. Love the fact that the cellulose is not itchy. Ceiling joists were 2x6, and the fiberglass barely covered the joists, and I had a lot of bare spots, particularly out here the edges. So I had R-19 minus some. I added enough of the cellulose to have 18" total across the attic (minus the foam vent boards out near the soffets). Depending on what R-value chart you look at, and considering I have a combination of fiberglass and cellulose, I'm thinking I'm somewhere between R-49 and R-60 for the attic. So I'm very pleased with that.

However, the cellulose is so light that it is easily moved around by the ventilation/air movement in the attic. Is there anything I can spray on top of the cellulose, kind of like a glue or adhesive, that would act as a top layer to it and hold it down? I want to be able to move around up in the attic without raising up a big dust storm every time I hit the insulation.

Although I don't use it in the houses I build (fiberglass is cheaper), cellulose settles. It should do this fairly quickly, in a matter of a few weeks. Then it should not move around much. When it is blown, you can treat it with a binder, but I'm not aware of anything you can use after. The binder is only used for walls, to hold it in the cavity.

Thanks Andre, I'll give it a few weeks and see how it is acting. I have a open attic access in my garage, and there is some sort of air current that is moving from my main attic into the garage, carrying some insulation dust with it, which is then settling down into the garage on the cars. I have noticed it not doing it as much so maybe it is settling some already.

I have about 2-300 sq ft of floored storage in the main attic. The rest is insulation only.

Sent from my HTC EVO using tapatalk.

Back