• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any Plumbers in the house?

nymustang

So the girlfriend and I recently moved into a new (to us) apartment in an older building. The tub has started slowing down so I figure there's a hair blob down there. I try all my usual techniques and find the drain to be relatively clean up top, clog has to be further in than I am used to. So I try the old plunger with a wet rag on the overflow vent and a bunch of crud comes up but nothing that would cause a clog. Problem is, now the tub won't drain at all. I guess I moved the clog, but in the wrong direction. So now I try the trusty snake but I can't get it to move past where the p trap should be. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I know this should be a relatively easy fix, but I've been getting no where for the last 3 hours. Any ideas what I can do to get the snake around the p trap. its just a 1/4" 15' long snake. Should fit fine. I'm wondering if the drain has a different setup than usual. For example our toilet is a rear exit because our building has concrete floors and all the plumbing is in the walls. Would there be something similar for a tub that could be my problem? Thanks for any help.

Sounds more like the clog is what is holding the snake. So many clogs are at the trap so it is a matter of seeing if you can get the end of the snake to break it up...... Does the snake have the coiled spring at the end to dig into the clog and allow you to pull some junk out?

older building probably mean no p trap for the tub. I'd bet you have a drum trap.

Fig-33-Drum-trap.gif

Is there an access behind the tub? Maybe in a closet or bedroom? Drum traps have a removable lid. Usually its a brass plug that is screwed in and needs damaged to remove. You can re cap them with a standard fernco cap. The construction of the drum trap is what wont let the snake go through.

I don't think the clog is holding the snake. I'm finding the snake is now occasionally popping through into the drain. There is a coiled spring at the end of the snake that should eat into whatever it hits. So far no dice. Now I just noticed when I run the sink, water is coming out of the tub. That leads me to believe this clog is way down there. Ugh. I hate to call a plumber for this.

i think the quarter inch snake may be wrapping itself up inside the drum. Sludge or sediment could be built up in there. Try some drain opener before you call a plumber.

If its hair or something, a strong opener would work. Not one that is found at home depot or lowes.

If theres no basement, or access below in your building, it may just be burried in the floor or the appartment bellow. I would doubt access being left under the floor.

This is a decent opener.

Hercules%20Clobber.jpg

Any vent tubes that you can get to to run a snake into? With plumbing in the wall, you could get lucky. Sounds like the clog has moved further than any drain. You say this is an apartment..upstairs/downstairs...any other unit having problems? Is their plumbing tied to yours?

Isn't there a landlord/apartment manager you can call?

My tub did the same thing a while back--when the upstairs neighbor drained his tub, mine filled up. :wtf

I put in a call to the apartment manager and they sent someone over to fix it.

Frank

Just curious why you wouldn't you call the landlord or property manager as opposed to the plumber... Isn't it their responsibility to deal with it?

I have not called the landlord because we don't have one. We own the apartment. I have talked to our the building super so he will be by tomorrow to see if he can help. I'll see if I can find some of that drain cleaner. All the plumbing should be connected to apartments above and below us but I'm not sure if they are having trouble. Looks like there won't be any showers tomorrow! :pbj

ah... ok, so it's a condo. right? I assumed by apartment that it was a rental, around here owned apartments are usually referred to as a condo of which the property managers simply give guidance and reccommend tradesman but rarely get too involved. My BIL manages a building that was built in the early 60s that sounds just like the problem you are having. The metal P trap in the basement apartment was giving trouble and they had to break the concrete floor. Fortunately there is a linen closet on the opposite side of the wall to gain access and not cause too much of a mess buttoning it back up. Just a thought, but with all the recent cold weather, do you think there is a chance the blockage could be water freezing in the drain pipe. I know at my folks house roto rooter was called in to clear a frozen drain. I thought one of the methods to clear it was some sort of water snake where they connect a hose to the faucet, feed a hose into the drain, seal it somehow and then turn on the hot water. If it's just a partial blockage then the pressurized water should help to move things along. I never saw it in action, but sounds like it should work if it's not a solid blockage.

EDIT - Found it... http://www.cherneind.com/Tools/Test_Pumps_Clog_Buster/ ... says to use cold water.

Its actually a Co-op but essentially the same as a condo (minus legal mumbojumbo). So yes its our responsibility to deal with but we have a great super for the building who is usually pretty good when there are problems. I was trying to deal with it myself because he was out playing santa last night. In the end we just might have to bite the bullet and call the plumber. I'm thinking it could be possible that there is a frozen pipe because its in an outside wall and its been DAMN cold here. However, our toilet still works fine with no issues. Shouldn't they all be connected together? Oh well. I gave it my best effort. Lets see what happens later this morning. Thanks for your help everyone!

Back