• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any woodworkers out there?

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I have some logs I cut into 2" planks several years ago (3 to 5 years). It has been stacked in a barn all this time. I cut some planks (cedar and hickory) into 1" boards and planed them down to 3/4. that project was side tracked for 3 weeks and now all the boards are warped.

Is there some type of sealer to put on them to keep them from drying more and warping?

They generally get a paint brushed on the ends to seal them up like any lumber you pick up from the yard. Sounds like that is what happened to you and additional moisture what absorbed by them.

I don't know of anything. you can put them in a jig and with a bit of moisture make them straight. You will want to store them in the jig.

What is the project? You may have to change your plans depending how much they warped.

Mel

How much have they warped? Can you plane them down thinner or will that be useless for the project? Not sure how much you can really plane out of 3/4 of an inch though....
Can you post a pic?

When you cut them down you should have restacked them with weight. You could still re-soak them and stack them with weight and let em dry for awhile. It's the down side to air drying lumber. If you do this don't paint the ends yet. Let them dry out first. Winter is not a good time to air dry though! A nice hot summer works best.

Or you could find a kiln drying facility :whis

I was going to make a cedar chest. The hickory was to be the frame. It is all twisted and doubt it can be saved. The cedar is just bowed and might be salvageable.

I just wondering for when I cut more hickory, is there some way to treat it so that is does not warp, if I have to stop foe a week or two.

Hickory is a tough wood to work with...period! You could try painting the ends, re-cut and then stack flat using multiple stickers between layers and put some heavy weight on top. Let dry in a dry hot place if you can.

Back