• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anybody Done an AOD Conversion?

joesgt281

Found some nice links posted here, but just wondering if anybody's done it here and if they used somebody's kit that they like.

I put an AOD in my last '66. Made my own tranny mount, modified the AOD kick down arm, modified the lock notches and shifter rod of the '66 shifter, shortened the drive shaft 1" and found out that was not needed. Had custom exhaust done to fit. All was good and cheap to do.

I ran stock manifolds due to clearance issues I had read about. The AOD is wider...

"AzPete" said:
I ran stock manifolds due to clearance issues I had read about. The AOD is wider...

My longtubes in the 67 are pretty tite around the C4 that's in there now.

Been also looking at a TKO 600 swap and a cool option on those is a hydraulic clutch/throwout bearing combo that doesn't have the whole shift fork and linkage clearance issues.
Also, the shifter comes straight out the top of the tranny so there's no external shift linkage clearance issues.
It's more money, and have to decide if I want that "lifestyle change" going to a stick.

Yes I did the AOD in Red who is using HiPo Manifolds. If you are also considering a TKO 500 or 600 then it sounds like you first need to make the decision on going Manual vs Automatic. Yes the AOD is wider than the C4. But I don't know how they compare to the TKO.

Back