• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anybody here have experience with 67/68 coupes

copasspupil

Donator
looking to talk to someone tomorrow about coupes and restoring them I'm buying 2 coupes 67/68. The 67 had a vinyl top but it was removed the sheet metal so thought about trying to make a vert out of it and the other stays as a coupe. Do I need a new windshield section for the vert and can I buy that still from dynacorn

First thing is to get subframe connectors on the since the roof is part of the structure. The whole package tray are needs to be changed so also adding a sub "X" brace would help along with the convertible seat risers.

Subframe connectors are not enough. To do it right you need the inner rockers which serve as the main frame rails tying the front and rear torque boxes together. Along with the 'vert one piece upper seat platform, there are lower pans welded to the underside of the floor which form another beam for torsional rigidity. There'a also a cross over plate that ties those two lower pans together. It's bolted so you have access to the driveshaft and the exhaust system. As far as the windshield pillars, The only difference is at the top where there is an extension that ties the coupe / fastback roof rails to the pillar. I think, but not 100% certain that you can cut that back, close the opening and then mount all the vert stainless to the pillars / windshield header.
Also on a vert there are extra supports from the floor to the B-Pillar. Get the Weld and Sealant Manual as it does a great job of showing how all the sheet metal attaches. It was very helpful when I converted my coupe to a fastback and included most of the vert structural pieces.

Not to rain on the OP's parade, but I will. If you want a convertible, or a fastback, then buy one. Aside from the extensive engineering required to do this right, you will end up with a Frankenstein car that has a title saying one thing and the looks say something else. it's going to be cheaper to just buy what you want rather than throw time and money at a losing proposition . Additionally, should you want, or need to sell it someday, your pool of prospective buyers will shrink from 100% to 10% or less.

Never plan on selling ? Predicting the future is darned near impossible, that prized classic sitting in your garage will be in some ad when you need $$$ for your kids private college, or a loved ones emergency operation. Life happens. Better to get what you want now, and spend the next 2+ years enjoying the view from the drivers seat instead of slaving away in the garage every night.

Just my 2 cents,

Z

I have a buddy over here & he has a '66 T code coupe that was converted into a convertible & has had all sorts of problems trying to sort it out, especially the side glass that is still from the coupe & doesn't fit the convertible roof. He is trying to sell it (real cheap for a 'vert over here) & it is a reasonably good car but no one wants it. Take zray's advice & buy a real one.

Back